Forum home Fruit & veg

Ideas for Eater Apples

I have just collected a bucket of apples from my eater apple tree, and am looking for ideas.

I am not sure what variety it is - guessing Braeburn or similar; they are very red apples, with crisp white flesh, and seem to last a long time both on the tree and on the fruit bowl.

I'm not really a fresh apple type but had one with cheese for dessert last night so I intend to keep as many as possible.

Those off the tree will be kept for eating, and I'll try some air-dried crisps.

I'll also try a bit of freezing sauce, and a few crumbles.

Have I missed anything, or suggested anything that won't work.

Cheers

Ferdinand

“Rivers know this ... we will get there in the end.”

• Apple cake is brilliant.
    You can also freeze apples once you have pitted them.
    They can also be used to make relishes/chutneys with other produce from the garden.
    Last year we made some great apple wine as we had such a glut.
  • I don't have a huge glut, but I perhaps have a couple of buckets of apples. I'll probably do some kilner jars of apple sauce.

My freezer is  not especially empty, as I just had my winter/spring supplies of frozen blueberries and various other berries arrive having bought at the in season time of the year to save cash, which comes to nearly 10kg. Which is quite a lot. 

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,811
    They go lovely grated into all sorts of things for instant sweetness and fiber.  I grate an apple (with skin on) into oatmeal prior to cooking it.  I also grate it (skin off) into baking for cakes and such as a partial replacement of sugar and oil.  Grated into pancake batter is excellent, especially with a bit of cinnamon. Grated with skin on in a carrot cake.  You need to adjust slightly for the extra moisture, but it's pretty versatile.  You can use up some of those berries by combining them with apples in a pie.  I usually do an apple/blackberry mix every fall.  
    Utah, USA.
  • We make apple and carrot cake,apple cake,we use them in crumbles with plums,all the different berries that we grow I have made blackberry and apple cake,apples are one of the most versatile fruit going for cooking and eating roar.
  • Edit it should have been eating raw and roar sorry I am still half a sleep,just another thing if you haven't had apple and loganberry crumble you haven't lived.
  • Thanks all.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,087
    @wild edges juices a lot of his apples...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,739
    If you get a taste for dried apple then I can recommend buying an apple corer-peeler-slicer tool which speeds things up no end. It takes me just under an hour to get 40 or so apples prepped and into the dehydrator. I love the stuff so I make as much as I can every year. I started off just making a tray or two in the oven though so you don't need a lot of kit to try it.
    My wife also makes a lovely spiced apple muffin from the stored cooking apples.
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,549
    Best apple cake

Servings: 6-8

Ingredients
        •    130 g  all-purpose flour,   
        •    1 teaspoon baking powder
        •    1/4 teaspoon salt
        •    120g unsalted butter, at room temperature (very soft)
        •    140g demarara sugar, plus more for a good sprinkling over cake
        •    2 large eggs at room temp
        •    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
        •    3 tablespoons dark rum (best) / kirsch / brandy
        •    cinnamon
        •    2 large apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Adding dried apple pieces can be good too.  Berries are a nice addition too.
        •    Icing sugar (optional), for decorating cake

Instructions
        1.    Prep a 9-inch cake pan. Preheat the oven to 180oC. 
        2.    Skin and dice apples. Cut small is you want subtle apple flavour and cut large if you want to eat chunk of apple. Dust the apples / blueberries etc in plain flour - do it now, not at the end. This is so the fruit doesn't sink to the bottom
        3.    In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
        4.    Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
        5.    Beat in the vanilla and rum. Don't worry if the batter looks grainy. Fine sieve in the flour mixture and mix on low speed until just combined. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the chopped apples.
        6.     Pour the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle evenly with a good layer of brown sugar, for crunch. A little for a light crunch subtle caramel, 2cm for a solid crunchy topping.
        7.    Bake for about 40 minutes (to one hr) or until the cake is lightly golden and a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean. The more fruit you add, the longer it will need to cook. Be aware that apples will be soft and sticky, so it can be tricky to see if the cake batter is cooked through or you have put the knife through a piece of apple. Batter is usually crumby and apple is more sticky on the knife.
        8.    Allow the cake to cool until just warm. Run a blunt knife around the edges of the cake and remove from the sides of the pan.
        9.     Using a fine sieve, dust with a little icing sugar. It's the kind of cake where the bottom can get quite wet if you leave it in the tin (because of the apples etc). So, to avoid getting a soggy bottom, cool on wire mesh or grill
     - - -
    Great served warm or room temperature, with or without cream or vanilla ice cream.
    Best eaten at the time of making as it's lighter and fluffier just after baking. Though it will keep in an air tight container for a week. Don't store in the fridge.
  • Ferdinand2000Ferdinand2000 Posts: 527
    edited September 2020
    I had forgotten Apple Cake - mum was still baking that to her last couple of years.

I think we used to freeze them successfully too.

I've just been and spent a ludicrous amount of money on freezer storage things and Kilner Jars to store them all in :smile: .