Forum home Tools and techniques

Can my first attempt flowers be rescued?

cazsophieq2019cazsophieq2019 Carrickfergus, Antrim Posts: 109
Hi everyone

Sorry more questions 🤪🤪....

I'm wondering if there's a possibility of saving any of the plants between now.  What should I do with the voilas in their current state, do I cut back and transplant.  

Regarding the hanging basket I'm thinking of transplanting some of the lobelia and petunias into a different pot with less drainage, as I didn't realise the hanging basket that I did create would need so much water.

Hope to hear from you soon and thank you as always ☺️

• rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 602
    If it were me I would discard the contents of the hanging basket. The petunias are not worth potting up and the lobelia is dead. Most people consider these annual plants for a summer display. They are cheap to buy the following spring or you can grow them from seed, buying named varieties from seed merchants.

In your first photo you have a hebe with a small viola seedling and two primulas (primroses) with the leathery leaves. All of these should can be left to grow and flower again.

The primula (primrose) with the pink flowers can also be left in situ.
  • cazsophieq2019cazsophieq2019 Carrickfergus, Antrim Posts: 109
    Hi thanks for the feedback @rachelQrtJHBjb

I guess with being a newbie to all of this in conjunction with being kind to the environment I like to see if there is a way to rescue or revive things but I'm also realising that I'm giving myself a lot more unnecessary work.

I'll just the contents of the hanging basket into the compost bin.

Regarding the primula and voilas should I cut them back now or later?

Thanks 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,059
    The primulas don't need cutting back. They look pretty healthy (if somewhat confused about flowering time, as many things are this year). You can cut the violas back now, and leave them where they are if that's where you want them, or move them after cutting back if you like. Water well before and after moving and they'll be fine.
  • cazsophieq2019cazsophieq2019 Carrickfergus, Antrim Posts: 109
    Thanks @JennyJ 🙂