Forum home Problem solving

Juniper turning blue (white tips)??

Hi everyone!

I've got this Juniper outside my new house. It's been neglected by the owners before me but I love a challenge. I'm not sure why but it seems the the needles are turning blue but on closer look it's actually turning white in between the needles. Anyone knows what this is and is there a way to get it back to its green color?

I

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    That's the new growth.  :)

It's not a juniper - it's a conifer of some kind. The brown stuff won't recover I'm afraid.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,736
    Looks to me like Juniperus scopulorum 'Blue Arrow' 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • Thanks for replying guys! yes i agree it looks alot like a blue arrow george!

However which steps would you take to do make something of this tree?

I'm guessing the first thing would be cleaning away all the old death needles and branches which theres alot of especially in the lower parts of the trunk. But then what?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    edited September 2020
    Apologies @Fred1991 - I think @amancalledgeorge is right. I'm not familiar with upright varieties of Juniper.  :)
    I think it's wise to remove any obvious dead stuff, but only you can decide how far to go with it. Sometimes there's enough branches and new growth to help cover dead bits. Plenty of water too. They all need a lot of that to establish well, although they're quite tough once established. It does depend on conditions they're planted in though, and many have suffered in recent years due to ongoing drought conditions in many areas. 
    If you have other planting around it, that may have contributed to the problem - blocking light and competing for water etc, but you could always treat it as a 'lollipop' and remove lower branches to create a clear trunk. Adding some groundcover which will not inhibit further growth, but helps make the area more attractive, might be the way to go.
    Difficult without seeing the entire plant though.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....