Forum home Plants

Paeonies

I have been offered 4 different Paeonies from a friend.  At the moment they are still in her garden. They did not do well as they were in a semi shaded border and only had one very small flower.
I would welcome some advise - can I put them in pots - do they need sun - what type of compost - when would be the best time to lift them?
Many thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    Suns and good soil. 
    You can keep them in pots, but it's much more work than in the ground, and they get big. They need supports. 
    Compost alone is no use long term - a loam based compost is needed, and with some grit mixed through as they also need decent drainage.  
    Don't plant too deeply as that affects the ability to flower well. Keep them well fed in the growing season.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,736
    And better off lifting them as the leaves die back naturally, have the pots or bags ready to stop them from drying out. Hopefully they will reward you with lots of flowers next spring. I absolutely love them. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,334
    Not much to add to the above really, if she wants them moved quickly you can put them in pots as a temporary measure (says she with one still in a "temporary" pot 2 years on 😳).
    They are lovely, l wish l had more space. 
  • If they haven't flowered well for her, it may be because they were planted too deeply. The recommended depth is 2.5 cm/1". If you get it right you may make her regret her gift. Good luck :)
  • Thank you all for your advice. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    I'd agree with @Buttercupdays. It's the most common reason for not flowering well.
    I actually keep mine almost proud of the soil level as it's wet here. That helps prevent the crown rotting, as any excess drains away more easily. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....