Forum home The potting shed

Best marker pen for plastic labels

As above. Any recommendations please as my current marker says permanent but soon faded or got watered off.  I now can't tell which young plants are violas and which are winter flowering pansies! My pen is Sharpie make.

• FireFire LondonPosts: 10,834
    Write-4-All. It's the only thing that I have found that sticks on labels outside over years. I cut up plastic milk cartons to make labels. The pen will write on pretty much any surface (within reason).
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,760
    Haha.. thanks @Fire , that answers a different question I had. One of my fellow Primary teachers asked me (the art teacher) what type of pen will stick to water bottles through the dishwasher. Due to Covid they've disabled all the school water fountains, and the school is providing water bottles.. but names in Sharpie are coming off quickly.. within a few wipes by a sanitizer cloth if the kids are a bit too aggressive. And they plan to run them through the dishwasher once a week for the kids, as well. I suggested an oil paint permanent marker.. but that pen looks like a great choice too. I've just sent her the link. If it can last a British season or two, it should be fine to fade slow enough they can retrace the name every once in a while.
    Utah, USA.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,143
    Pencil.
    Stays on better than almost anything. Pen of any kind just washes off here within a short time. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks Fire I have ordered some off ebay
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,520
    Fairygirl said:
    Pencil.
    Stays on better than almost anything. Pen of any kind just washes off here within a short time. 
    Chinagraph pencil (basically a posh crayon) gets my vote but I see I'm already too late.

Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • Thanks I have tried the pencil ones that come with the plastic labels but they have always rubbed or washed off
    Pencil has never worked for me either. I'm obviously doing it wrong. I will have another go.
    Haha.. thanks @Fire , that answers a different question I had. One of my fellow Primary teachers asked me (the art teacher) what type of pen will stick to water bottles through the dishwasher.
    @Blue Onion - for the record, acetone (nail polish remover) as a solvant will get the marker off plastics if you need to.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,520
    Chinagraph pencils are made of a hard wax. The writing doesn't rub off like graphite and doesn't fade like ink and they write on most surfaces. I've been really impressed with them.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.