Forum home The potting shed

Stewed Pears......recipes?

steveTusteveTu Posts: 1,386
edited September 2020 in The potting shed
I've just been out picking me pairs - never pick your pairs or else they'll never get better - and I was going to simply stew them with some honey and mixed spice (as used in bread pudding). I just read about stewing them in apple juice, without then adding any sweetener.
Any bright ideas here?

Edited: Just may add some 'open' Cointreau / Grand Marnier - there must be some in the cupboard gathering dust.
UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,745
    Vanilla goes well with pears. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,242
    Cored and poached in spiced red wine? 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • steveTusteveTu Posts: 1,386
    edited September 2020
    Taken that on board....

I would have done, but there were vastly tooo many so I wanted someway of being able to stew them down and freeze. In the past I would have chucked some of them in a rumtopf.

Stewing them as I type with a liberal mix of mixed spice, honey, Cointreau and vanilla. I added and tasted, so quite well balanced (get me). Note actually sure I'll be able to taste the pears, but should go well with some custard or ice cream..... I did as the base instruction said for stewing and had water covering them  - but had vastly to much liquor after they started cooking down, so taken some off to put in the fridge to drink. Waste not want not.

UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,242
    Fair enough, sometimes it can be overwhelming with fruit trees...I've been dealing with the glut of cooking apples, thankfully my neighbours and colleagues helped out! 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow