Forum home The potting shed

Decorating terra cotta flower pots

Has anyone had to seal terra cotta flower pots before painting? I have looked on internet with plenty of help from USA etc but so far nothing in UK. Details of any proven product would be most helpful.need to get them painted before spring bulbs go in.
Robin Wallhouse

• steveTusteveTu Posts: 1,030
    Does PVA work?

I've never tried it personally. Looks like it may be worthwhile giving an old pot a go and see what happens.

UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,645
    PVA does work, but you need to use it after painting. It's better for just sealing though. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I’ve used outdoor varnish after painting the pot with acrylic. Seems to work quite well.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 24,889
    Just a coat of plain water based clear acrylic varnish will seal it so you can decorate it and not have all the paint or glue (depending on what you're doing) absorbed.   Then do your thing and add 2 further coats of acrylic varnish to seal.   

It dries quickly but best to leave 24 hours between coats and no more than 3 coats total or it goes milky.  I have used it indoors and out for sealing terracotta pots.   Stops all the damage freeze/thaw can do to unprotected terracotta and a lot cheaper than buying the ones fired at seriously high temps and supposedly frostproof.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw