Forum home Problem solving

Tomatoes still green.

A friend gave me 2 tomato plants for my hangiing basket. They have been outside since may or june .One died but the other one has produced loads of fruit. I didnt have anywhere to hang the basket that was sunny enough so have put it on a high shelf where it is sunniest in the garden. It has produced loads of tomatoes in the last couple of months but none of them have turned yellow yet. The tomatoes are all underneath and seem to be quite shaded. What can I do to ripen them please.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 33,290
    They're starting to turn, so they'll continue to ripen.  It's warmth that ripens , not sun, so if you haven't got much of that, you can bring them inside to finish ripening. 
    It's why it's virtually impossible to grow toms outdoors here where I am. Temps aren't consistently high enough through the whole process, especially at night  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I would leave the plant where it is. Remove most of the leaves and keep it watered. When the weather turns cold, if you still have unripened fruit, hang the plant upside down in a shed or garage window where the fruit will continue to ripen for several weeks.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,995
    I agree with @Fairygirl
    If you can move the basket somewhere indoors the fruits will ripen.
    It's warmth they need to ripen - of course if there's good light too that's an added bonus. Thinning out some of the leaves too will help airflow and help prevent rot.
    Left outside I think it'll just deteriorate at this time of year unless we get another blast of summer.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Lily 2Lily 2 Posts: 4
    I would leave the plant where it is. Remove most of the leaves and keep it watered. When the weather turns cold, if you still have unripened fruit, hang the plant upside down in a shed or garage window where the fruit will continue to ripen for several weeks.
    I have cut it back so the fruit is exposed. Its still sunny at the moment so hopefully they will ripen. 
  • Lily 2Lily 2 Posts: 4
    Thanks everyone. I've pruned it a bit so hopefully it will ripen. I haven't got green fingers so the fact that I didn't kill the plant its a bonus lol
  • If the fruits are still green and it’s getting colder then pick them and put them in a drawer or box with bananas and they will turn red. I thought this an old wives tale until last year when I tried it and was amazed at how red they turned. I placed them on newspaper in a chest of drawers and left them until the bananas became well rotted. Great result and great tasting toms. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 33,290
    It isn't really necessary @kathyclements. Just being somewhere warm will ripen them  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....