Forum home Plants

Loads of yellow leaves, on Honeysuckle

Hi all, over the last couple of months my 3 honeysuckle plants have started to have quite a lot of yellow leaves, with lots of them falling. 

I have been watering them fairly regularly and also sprey with a seaweed fertiliser every couple of weeks. 
They are planted in the ground, this was dug through with manure and compost before planting.
They have been in the ground since May when they where 75cm tall, so they have grown pretty well but the bottom sections look a bit poorly now. 
They are growing up a southeast facing wall. 

Any advice would be great, or is this normal. 

Thanks

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,114
    edited 16 September
    I suspect on a south east wall, it gets quite a bit of sun in the day. Not their ideal place, but if the soil is kept moist, they may be fine when they mature more. Honeysuckles prefer semi shaded positions, and preferably the base shaded and cool. With a brick base I suspect they get quite warm there. 

Yellowing leaves and leaf drop is normal for these shrubs. New leaves should replace them in time, especially the lower sections where the older leaves are. However, you have concentrated on training them upwards so much, so the base will slowly grow sparse. If the base continues like that, you may need to prune back some side shoots lower down to stimulate new growth.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,279
    I see you have is it flint chips? And stones on the soil around. This makes it hard to know how dry the soil is underneath. Honeysuckle do prefer moisture and shade to perform well. Although if its a deciduous one it might have decided its autumn and is shedding its leaves already. Probably a combination of the two. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 33,147
    Right up against the fence too, which won't help. Much drier. 
    Perfectly normal for leaf drop just now if you're in a cooler area though, and as they're quite a decent size, if they're struggling a bit with moisture, they'll drop some foliage to help maintain the rest  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....