Forum home Problem solving

How best to store opened bag of compost

Hi, just as above and sorry if it's been asked before, I did look but couldn't find an answer. I have a fairly large bag of shop bought compost, I've used some but won't need it again now until maybe December...what is the best way to store this? Right now I have just put the opened bag into another big plastic bag, but is there a best way to store this to keep it fresh and away from pests? I have space in a garage or shed.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,114
    I just tie up the top and keep it somewhere cool and shady, but I personally don't think leaving them outside makes too much of a difference. If you store them somewhere warm and dry or leave the bag opened for long periods in a dry environment, the compost will just dry up. They would be good as a soil conditioner in that situation.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 33,290
    I often leave it outside, just closed over with a brick, or similar, on top but shed or garage is fine, especially if it's hot/dry, as @Borderline says. It's less useful if allowed to get dry and powdery. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• GrasslyGrassly BucksPosts: 33
    Thanks both, I'm glad it's not as complicated as I thought it would be, eg having to get a special container.
    The nutrients get depleted over time, but if you're seed sowing or similar at the end of the year, you don't want a rich compost anyway.
    They'll probably be some nutrient value left though. December isn't far away 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 16 September
    Fairygirl said:
    The nutrients get depleted over time,
    "As compost age increases, the concentration of total nitrogen (TN), total inorganic nitrogen (TIN), organic nitrogen (Norg) and NH3 leaching out of the compost decreases, as expected from previous research (Claassen & Carey, 2007). As compost age increases the concentration of total nitrogen (TN), total inorganic nitrogen (TIN), organic nitrogen (Norg) and NH3 leaching out of the compost decreases, as expected from previous research by others. Nitrifying bacteria are likely responsible for much of the decrease in available ammonia as the compost ages with a corresponding production of nitrate."
    Potassium, carbon and phosphorus are in a table further down. Measured on compost of day 0, day 4 and day 9 after production over 3 days of simulated rainfall.
  • Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 582
    I store opened bags in the shed with the tops folded over twice and old clothes pegs on to keep them closed. Seems to keep the compost from drying out.

Bee x
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
    Yes - if they're well secured @Bee witched , it keeps the contents moist  :)