Forum home Problem solving

Have I killed my cypressas? :(

Hi all, 

I had great success asking you all about another garden problem, I thought I'd come and ask for help with new woes (I don't think horticulture is my forté!)

I have had some cypressas which were due to be planted shortly after I bought them last year. Unfortunately building work got delayed and I wasn't able to get them in the ground as they would have been damaged by rubble and lime mortar run off. So I kept them overwinter happily on a south facing ledge but haven't really given them consistent care/watering (other than feeding them earlier this year and slightly erratic watering trhoughout the summer).

I guess my question is, have I killed them? There are some signs of green still, but they are looking pretty sorry. Is there anything you can recommend to help bring them back to life it they haven't quite carked it yet? 

I think the first thing I should do is move them as the remaining cypressa which was placed in a much more sheltered place is still thriving (even with my neglectful care).

Some pics of the sorry trees attached. 

Thank you in advance!  

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 33,156
    I wouldn't hold my breath.
    They look fried.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,378
    There’s nothing you can do to revive those. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

You're more direct than me @Lyn :)

They are no more I'm afraid @ttothetnp :/

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,378
    I’ve always been a ‘tell it like it is’ kind of girl @Fairygirl 😀
    If  people ask for advise I can never see the point of pussy footing around,  it’s a shame about the trees but there’s nicer hedging around than conifer. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

I like to break people in gently @Lyn ;)

Those can be very nice if used the right way @ttothetnp - lining a drive in an Italianate way, or framing a view etc, but they don't work if not given the care unfortunately. They won't survive if they get dried out at any point. It's easier when they're in the ground, but in pots, different story.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,304
    😢
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Blast it I thought as much! 

Yes they were to be used in an Italiate way framing the front of the house, unfortunately as the work got delayed and largely involved lime mortar rubble going everywhere (know that from the other wall we had done) I couldn't risk planting them. 

Ack they were expensive too :'( 

Thanks all
    Bummer  :/