Forum home Problem solving

Can I save my wisteria?

Hello,
I've been growing a new wisteria in a large pot over the summer and it was doing fantastically. However two days ago it's suddenly drooped and now the leaves are all yellow and crispy. I've given it a good drink. Is it dead now? Will it come back next season? Should I prune it? Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,114
    I hope someone that grows Wisteria can give you informed advice. From what I know, Wisterias are fast growing plants that will not do well in containers. Shrivelled leaves are signs of die back. 

It’s not dead but probably struggling in the small container. I have seen some magnificent mature shrubs that are so huge, the trunk is literally surrounded with concrete. Hoping this is a temporary measure and the shrub will be planted into the ground soon. The compost should also be a loam-based compost like John Innes No 3. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,387
    I agree ... a wisteria will never be happy in a pot. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,042
    I think that ideas of large, when it comes to pots, vary, too. While you could keep a young plant in a large pot for a short time, that pot is much too small and all summer is much too long. I think it will recover if you get it into the ground.