Forum home Problem solving

Petunia letting me know it’s not happy, but I don’t know

COVIDgotmegardeningCOVIDgotmegardening Warminster, WiltshirePosts: 26
Morning gang, I’m a novice gardener and we purchased these back in March. They took to their new pots and grew. I moved one of them to the end of the driveway and went away for a week in August leaving #1 son to pull the dying leaves and water. It was a week of high winds and upon our return I was greeted by a very windswept plant. I put a couple of stakes in it to help form some structure, which worked. However over the weeks (I attend to it daily) the leaves have gone brown and it does look very sorry for itself. Yesterday when I checked it the brown leaves were dried out, so I gave it a good watering and this morning all the brown leaves are soggy; morning due?. My other plant some 10 feet is a million miles away as far as condition goes. I’m considering moving it back to the location where it started. Interned to know what’s wrong though so I can learn and identify what I’ve done wrong........

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,449
    I wonder if it simply run out of food. They do appreciate a weekly liquid fertiliser, as they put so much effort in producing flowers and also hate getting dry, so consistent watering is key. Presumably the wind exposure helped to dry it out.  
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 33,145
    That would be my thoughts too @amancalledgeorge. By this time of year, they're running out of steam anyway.
    The watering done by your son may not have been appropriate either. He may just have sprinkled the top with a watering can which would do more harm than good, unless you showed him how to get the nozzle of the can right into the base. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,449
    At least the good thing about annuals is they're a great learning tool and you can change them in new season unlike anything perennial. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • COVIDgotmegardeningCOVIDgotmegardening Warminster, WiltshirePosts: 26
    Thank you both. It/they get watered weekly by me with a Tomatorite feed. Surely one weeks worth of poor watering would have passed by now?.
  • B3B3 Posts: 14,421
    Petunias are coming to the end of their natural life at this time of year. You can tidy it up a bit if you like but it will never get back to what it was. The lack of watering probably accelerated the process a bit.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 6,951
    Mine were completely knackered by wind in August. They were battered and awful and I pulled them out and composted them.