Forum home Plants

What to plant after roses

What plants are best in a spot where an old rose has recently been removed? I’ve been advised to rotate but am not sure if this is correct or what plant will do well in the soil now.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,114
    edited 15 September
    A lot of plants should do well there so it's just a matter of taste and size. If the border is spacious, maybe look into planting a shrub. But if you want to grow another rose in the same spot, go ahead with that too. 
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 29,123
    It is not a good idea to plant a rose where a rose has been removed because of the possibilities of replant disease. If you want to put another rose in that position, it is recommended that the old soil is removed and adding some kind of root grow fungus will also help. The removed soil can be used for other plants - but not roses.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,114
    If you are concerned with rose re-plant issues, do as Ladybird4 suggests, should you want to plant in another rose.

Personally, I have not had that problem before, so I guess it depends on the soil make-up. But digging a little deeper and moving soil from that area to another area might be a safer idea just in case.