Forum home Plants

David Austin v Peter Beale

I'm looking to buy 3 or 4 roses before Christmas. I've looked at both catalogues and "pencilled" in what I might buy.
I know they sell different to each other and the prices are more or less the same, but who would you recommend or are the Roses of equal quality ?

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,449
    I think Trevor White Roses are a great company to deal with too. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,989
    I've bought roses over the years from both DA and PB - both provided good quality bare-root plants.
    They've both been around for many years
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 1,282
    DA sell mostly their own varieties plus some old roses and well-known classics. PB sell a wide range of roses - their own (not many of them), old roses (some exclusive to them) and many modern roses. Both companies have good quality standards, although I would say DA is slightly better.
    The question here really shouldn't be which company to choose but which roses to choose. Some are significantly better than others (better here is relative, depending on your location and what you want in roses). The same variety from two different suppliers won't be too different (maybe you get one more cane or slightly longer roots) but two varieties from the same supplier can be extremely different, even if they look similar (one very healthy and floriferous, the other one blackspotting, struggling and not blooming much).
    There are also other companies which are also very good - Trevor White for old roses and several companies for modern roses.
  • gjautosgjautos BuckinghamshirePosts: 93
    I think peter beales, david austin and trevor white are all very very good. Its more about picking the roses you want and seeing who sells them. Trevor white does generally seem to be cheaper.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,763
    I've bought roses from both and been to visit both of their rose gardens. Both are good but, as others said, it depends who sells the rose you want to buy. I also like going to a garden centre and choosing one that looks good.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 426
    I'd never buy anything from an Eastenders market trader  ;)
  • GrasslyGrassly BucksPosts: 26
    I've never grown roses from scratch before so I'm planning on buying the bare root ones later in the year. I like the look of Trevor Whites and the value for money and as a new grower I like the idea of getting a couple of bare roots for the price of one somewhere else to start off with.
  • SydRoySydRoy Posts: 85
    I've bought from Harkness in the past and been very pleased. "Margaret Merrill" is popular. ( often referred to as the Wedding Rose )
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 2,831
    Have a regular snoop around garden centres and nurseries over the next month or two. Sometimes the left over containerised stock are sold off at the end of the year, including DA roses. They'll be cheaper than ordering bare root and having had an extra season of growth, will be bigger plants.