Forum home The potting shed

Mystery flower

I’m sure someone can identify this pretty flower that’s sprung up in the middle of a border. I’m delighted to have it but I would love to know what it is.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,227
    Maybe it's my tablet, but l can't see a photo 😕
  • Silly me ! 
  • arneilarneil Posts: 246
    I have that flower , given to me by a friend , but no idea as to the name , mine has spread and been given to many friends too !
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,677
    edited September 2020
    It used to be called a kaffir lily but they changed it's name to something  more acceptable. Can't remember what😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Thankyou so much for the comments. Glad I know what it is now and how it will, hopefully, spread. All for free too. I’ve no idea how it came to be in the middle of my garden especially as I’ve just read it’s a rhizome so doubt it’s arrived by feathered friends.
  • Liz.SprLiz.Spr Posts: 28
    edited September 2020

Hesperantha?

I have green thumbs and no aphids on my roses.
  • They prefer moist soil, and can be mildly invasive if they find a happy spot.
  • normally still called schizostylis, or African Corn lilly (for obvious reasons) flower in winter, have never found them to be thuggish
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,668
    Lucky you Nanny. The red one spread like mad in our last garden. So much so that I hesitate to bring them into this one.