Forum home The potting shed

Mystery flower

I’m sure someone can identify this pretty flower that’s sprung up in the middle of a border. I’m delighted to have it but I would love to know what it is.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,853
    Maybe it's my tablet, but l can't see a photo 😕
  • lilly3lilly3 Posts: 52
    Silly me ! 
  • arneilarneil Posts: 229
    I have that flower , given to me by a friend , but no idea as to the name , mine has spread and been given to many friends too !
  • B3B3 Posts: 14,465
    edited 15 September
    It used to be called a kaffir lily but they changed it's name to something  more acceptable. Can't remember what😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • lilly3lilly3 Posts: 52
    Thankyou so much for the comments. Glad I know what it is now and how it will, hopefully, spread. All for free too. I’ve no idea how it came to be in the middle of my garden especially as I’ve just read it’s a rhizome so doubt it’s arrived by feathered friends.
  • Liz.SprLiz.Spr Posts: 8
    edited 15 September

Hesperantha?

I have green thumbs and no aphids on my roses.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,853
  • They prefer moist soil, and can be mildly invasive if they find a happy spot.
  • They prefer moist soil, and can be mildly invasive if they find a happy spot.
     Mildly invasive ?  A mildly invasive army ?  I don't think you can really put those 2 words together  :D
    Nice plants tho :)
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,652
    normally still called schizostylis, or African Corn lilly (for obvious reasons) flower in winter, have never found them to be thuggish