Forum home The potting shed

Earlies for 2021

Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,626

Morning all, What went wrong ? This year our first ever earlies were Gardeners Delight (I got the last bag of them left at garden centre ??) using 45 litre spud bags with grow more comp.  All grew well to about 24 " and looked good and bushy and kept damp, crop from entire bags was 25 spuds ,tasteless and very disappointing. what I want to ask is what favourites do people have and how best  to grow them in the bags, also am I supposed to feed them at all. our choice when buying pots from the grocer is like lots of people Jersey Royals but I don't know if they are available to buy for growing or perhaps something similar in taste, I realise its a matter of taste ,Hence me mentioning the Jerseys, but it would be good if I could know a few secrets as to getting a decent bag full, any advise will be good,

Many thanks AlanB

• steephillsteephill Posts: 1,367
    Jersey Royals are sold as International Kidney for the retail seed potato market.
  • I have to ask - what the heck is International Kidney?
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,573
    It is the proper name for the tatties sold as Jersey Royals.They can't be called Jersey Royals if they are not grown on Jersey.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,626
    Do you have to feed the growing tatties
  • nick615nick615 Posts: 389
    If you want to  try something different, I've always liked Kestrel, billed as a second early.
  • Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,626

Many thanks everyone, I also found out NPK for spuds is 8:24:24+5 don't know what the +5 is, but found a cheap feed with this ratio on the net it seems  the seller break down larger farm supplies to smaller bags around £6

hope this might be of help for spud growers

Seller: J & J.A Johnston 67 Ballygruby Road Magherafelt, Moneymore, County Tyrone, BT45 7XD United Kingdom