Forum home Problem solving

Grub / Larvae Identification

Hi There,

not the most experienced gardener, but wagtails and magpies are having a feast on the grubs killing my grass. However I haven’t been able to ID the little critters. I though leatherjackets, as no legs, but too light in colour, but also the wrong shape for chafer grubs (and lack of legs as far as I can tell)

any ideas?

Thanks in advance! 

• Could they be leatherjackets?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,387
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,368
    Really hard to tell but it could be a cutworm caterpillar.
  • thanks for thank you very much for the suggestions. There are thousands of them and a very large patch of dead lawn. (Neighbour too)

this is a still from a video I took (can’t figure out how to embed a video) - if this helps at all.

Thinking of going the Nematode route, which I have read is safe but equally I don’t want to mess with the biodiversity too much.

Thanks again all!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 33,290
    I'd just let the birds keep doing their job. Much easier  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,387
    Fairygirl said:
    Ditto  :D
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Fairygirl said:
    😀 This was the approach I was taking, as I can live with a little brown grass, however the dead lawn patch is growing and growing and the birds can’t keep up it would seam. 
  • So I have been told that it is a young leatherjacket in the photo and this is one of the times of year they will be actively chomping through my lawn roots. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 33,290
    I don't think that is a leatherjacket. They're a browny grey colour.
    Nematodes are a good solution, as they're already present in the natural world - you would just be adding more  :)
    I don't know how many different types there are though, so you may need to investigate that if it isn't possible to positively ID the grub you have. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....