Forum home Plants

Moving a clematis avalanche

Hi, I’m looking to move a clematis avalanche, I planted this back in may, it’s probably about 5 feet high currently (from 2 stems). Is this ok to do now or do I need to be aware of anything or treat this specifically??? @Fairygirl I’ve had lots of good advice from you on Clems!

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,853
    As it hasn't been in the ground all that long, if it was mine l would take the chance and move it.
    I think the usual advice regarding clematis is to move them in the Spring, but in this case l would go for it.
    Hopefully @Fairygirl can back me up/shoot me down in flames 😁
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 33,290
    I'd move it too. I move stuff when it needs it, not when the books tell me  ;)
    Having said that, it might be better to cut it back a little bit. I know you might not want to do that, but it's less stressful for the plant. It'll depend on hearty it is, but if it's five feet from only two stems, it'll help to encourage more stems and make a bushier plant  :)
    I hacked an alpina back last year - late summer, as I needed to get into the trellis it was on. It was covering the space again by this summer, but obviously, there were fewer flowers as it's spring flowering.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks again for your help @Fairygirl and @AnniD! I managed to move the clem today (nervously!) and replant. I’ve also added some wire for this to grow up. Should I tie the shoots on or just let it find it’s way?? This doesn't seem as ‘grabby’ as the Montana I have on the other side of the garden, or the new Armandi you can see here :)

edited 17 September
    Ah- afraid you're going to have move again @steven.g.garner. They won't thrive so close together.  Armandiis become huge in the right conditions. :/

With a tree nearby, moisture might be a problem too, but the Avalache will be completely overshadowed and hidden by the armandii if it establishes better. 

PS - I'd move the armandii.

• @Fairygirl yikes. Ok, that’s a shame :( I’ve bought the Armandii to grow large over the pergola so I really want to leave that there. I’m on limited space really so perhaps I move the avalanche to the left so it will still grow along the wires? I’m a bit stuck with competition as our neighbours have lots of trees along the fences (but I’m good at watering!)
  • Ps: if I just want the avalanche to stay at that size, can I put it in a pot and have it just cover one of the posts?
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,853
    Avalanche are apparently okay in pots, although l'll be blowed if l can find the best size. I expect @Fairygirl will know.
    Sorry - I went out  ;)
    They [avalanche] will be happy in pots, so maybe you could position it somewhere near one of the posts? Just pot it into something that gives the rootball a bit more space in all directions, and then you can move it up again once it's fully mature. Something like a ten inch [diameter] pot would probably be fine just now, and then into a 12 to 15 inch sort of size next year if it grows well. Just judge it by the size of the rootball, and give it a nice obelisk to grow onto. 
    It would probably look good with a few other similar pots in front of it with other plants to give you seasonal interest. Bulbs, in particular, would be good as they would give you a nice spring display with the clem. Somewhere you can see them from the house too. You can then move it out of the way for summer stuff to take over. I do that with mine.
    I started a project earlier this year, which had to be postponed a bit due to the virus. I removed a yard of turf, as I'm widening the path from the back gate to the back door. I have several pots with different plants grouped together, and I can change them around. 

There's a gold Libertia in there which isn't terribly visible in the pic, but most of the plants are reds/oranges/golds. Now that the Ligularia is done, I've left it for foliage effect, but when it's done, I'll change some of those plants [ nasturtiums and poached egg plant] for pots of spring bulbs. I've even got a pot of dark red lettuce there just now. 
    The native prims will become more prominent, and the Libertia will still be there, and I'll add another evergreen or two for over winter, and some Heucheras - the ones in the background probably. I have an Acer which will be colouring up soon, so that will go there too.  
    Just play around with various ideas, but always check on eventual sizes and widths of plants, so that you can give them the room they need. Clems take several years to get to maturity  :)

• Wow - such brilliant and appreciated advice @Fairygirl and @AnniD and such a beautiful garden!!! I’ll have a move about and keep you posted :)
    Very kind @steven.g.garner :)    
    Yes - keep us posted.