Forum home Problem solving

Looking for some fast lawn/garden advice

Hoping for a few tips. Our lawn has been neglected for the past few years due to little ones and work commitments, and the grand plan was to try over the next year or two to regularly feed, weed scarify etc to spruce it all up. However my sister has had to change her wedding plans due to local lockdowns, but we have offered our garden for a small family reception, so now I’m hoping to spruce it up a bit for just over four weeks time.

so I have put plans on hold to do any weeding in September, as i’m assuming it might just leave the grass patchy, and just glad that the weeds are green. 

But our front lawn is quite dry and yellow, would scarifying and over seeding allow for it to regret in 4 weeks time, or am I best to stick to just a post cut fertiliser?

Any other tips would be Greatly received. 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,853
    Welcome to the forum  :)
    Four weeks isn't very long, but you can but try. I'm assuming you particularly want the back lawn looking good for the photos,  with the front as a bonus.  
    If you can keep the children off it as much as possible (l know !), then it can be perked up quite a bit, the generally cooler weather in the mornings and evenings may help.
    There are quite a few lawn experts on here, in the meantime here's an article from a man who knows considerably more than l do.
    https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/garden/830399/Alan-Titchmarsh-garden-grass-green

I hope your sister has a lovely day, and the lawn looks stunning  :)
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,534
    What a yellowing/browning lawn needs most of all is water. If you get plenty of rain in the next week or so (or can give it the equivalent by watering) it'll most likely green up. No point in overseeding if the soil is dry, and in any case a lot of footfall in 4 weeks' time would trample the young seedlings. It's too late in the year for high-nitrogen fertiliser (it's time for an autumn feed really, to encourage good root growth). 
    What I would do is cut it little and often until the wedding, and give it plenty of water for the next week or two if you don't get decent rain. I wouldn't normally suggest watering an established lawn because it will green up on its own when the rain comes, but this is a special occasion. Then after the wedding, scarify, spike any really compacted areas and give it an autumn feed (or autumn feed & weed if you have too many weeds to dig out by hand) to set it up for next year.
  • hmmcahmmca Posts: 3
    Thank you so much! I’ll try all of these tips, and hopefully next year start properly caring for it.

I’m very glad I found this forum 😊
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,380
    Water will do a world of good.  Give it a good soak twice a week if the rain isn't giving you several inches in a go.  Also, I would be tempted to apply a very weak liquid feed of some sort.  Use one of those dispensers that attach at the end of the hose to mix, and use a half or a fourth of what is recommended. Just to green it up a little bit and encourage new growth to fill poorly areas.  
    Utah, USA.
  • hmmcahmmca Posts: 3
    Thanks so much everyone. Unfortunately new restrictions being introduced have meant she has had to move her Wedding again. However it does mean my lawn it off the hook for now. So I’ll take on all your advice, and look forward to a healthier lawn next year! Thanks again