Forum home Plants

Yucca Brown/grey tips with yellow halo

Hello!! It’s my first Yucca! Seeing online that the grey/brown tips with yellow halo indicates over watering, but this baby has only been watered once since getting it 2 weeks ago. Any thoughts? **Has new, healthy growth coming in and these yellow-tips seem to only be on lower leaves 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,845
    Hello, welcome to the forum  :)
    Bumping this up for any houseplant experts.
    I'm wondering if it's due to dry air (although l'm assuming you don't have the heating on at the moment !).
    That's just a guess though.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,517
    Lower leaves do tend to wither and drop naturally, and it might also be responding to the change in location. Yuccas like plenty of light, so make sure it's in a good location near bright window, and only water when the top few inches of compost is dry (sticking your finger in is the best test). As long as the new growth is coming in healthy I wouldn't worry.
  • No dry air AnniD. 

JennyJ, It’s in front of a filtered sw facing window so it gets good sun. Hopefully it is just adjusting! I’m also wondering if it was just a bit too much watering as it was mailed pretty damp and the soil is a bit moist about an inch down still. I’ll hold off watering until it’s dry—thanks so much!
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,517
    If it's come mail order it might have taken a bit of physical damage to the leaf tips in transit too, even with good packaging.
  • Apart from @JennyJ 's comment, it will also need to acclimatise itself to your environment.  Plants like these are grown in optimum conditions for sale.
    If you think you are doing everything right, give it time to adjust :)