Forum home Problem solving

Apple tree roots

Good evening all

So I’ve noticed that if I move the trunk of my Apple tree some of the soil at the base also moves, is this normal? It is a dwarf tree, I think an M9?

Could I just add some garden soil on top to level it off as such?

Many thanks 

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,189
    Does it have a stake?  Trees on M9 need permanent staking as the roots are weak.  You shouldn't be able to move the tree in the soil...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Yes the tree does have a stake. I had to put a new one in last year as the old one was too small.
    Does the stake move as well as the tree?  If so, you need a bigger one - or maybe one either side of the tree, as used in municipal plantings where bored teenagers think it's fun to wiggle trees about.  If the stake doesn't move, but the tree does, I think you need a new tree tie or two, perhaps.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • If I recall only the tree moves but I’ll have to check. The stake is bigger than the trunk, not sure how much bigger I can go haha. It has got two ties on it already.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,678
    The roots may have been loosened when the old stake was in place, so make sure the tree is really well supported by the new one as you don't want the base of the trunk moving at all when wind rocks the tree because that is when damage occurs.  If it is securely held in place, new roots will form to help support it.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    Perhaps a second stake then, on the other side of the tree.  We've had a lot of very strong wind recently, which may have loosened your poor tree...  is it still looking healthy?
  • If I put in another stake won’t it damage the roots? I think it’s healthy? I’m somewhat new to gardening still. It has produced apples this year and still has leaves on it that helps? 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,678
    If you put the stake in at an angle, you can minimise the risk of damaging any roots as the sharp end is driven in at an angle pointing away from the roots, like this:

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Ok Bob I might have to get a second stake. The current stake is upright. Does the angled stake need to be in a specific position or just opposite the current stake?
  • Ok so I’ve ice take two pictures of the tree to see if that helps. Also, I’ve noticed the steak itself moves.