Forum home Plants

Salvia ID: Royal Bumble/Jezebel

Looking for anyone who grows or who is familiar with these 2 varieties.

I'm in a bit of quandary with 3 salvias I have and I suspect there's been mislabelling somewhere between these before I bought them.

I should have 2 jezebel and 1 royal bumble but the flowers don't all seem to tie in with the labelling.

They're almost identical flowers but the one on the left definitely has more red in the newest, upper flowers compared to the one on the right. Does anyone know which of these 2 varieties has this initial red rather than the hot pink the one on the right has?

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,844
    To be honest it's almost impossible,  but l would say Royal Bumble on the right.
    Standing by for someone to say the opposite 😁. 
    It may be worth contacting William Dyson at Great Comp Garden, (sadly Robin Middleton who was a great expert and helped me a great deal, died at the beginning of this year). 
  • I've emailed Dyson nurseries off the back of that so hopefully get a response.

I think without having a photo of the 2 side by side it's difficult to see a definitive difference when googling.

Looking at these 2 photos, assuming they were accurate, I'd lean towards it being royal bumble on the left  :p

https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/salvia-jezebel/

https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/salvia-greggii-royal-bumble/

Never quite sure though as can find the odd photo on google that's vice versa.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 6,951
    I must admit that I can't see any differences in the colour in the photo. I grow Bumble and it is most definitely a proper, deep red. There's nothing pink about it (which is why I grow them).
  • You don't notice a deeper red on the left upper ones compared to the right?

The photo is accurate as well compared to how they appeared to my eye.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,844
    The problem with salvias is just how many of them are so similar (obviously 😳).
    Hopefully Dysons can help, l'd be interested to know what they say.
  • bullfinchbullfinch SurreyPosts: 343
    I don't have a royal bumble , but this is a picture of my Jezebel, if that is any help 🤔
  • Songbird-1Songbird-1 Posts: 1,130
    I have a Royal Bumble salvia and from what I can see of the leaves on your plants @Dirty Harry, they don’t look like the leaves shape or colour of our plant. Could you perhaps post a picture of the full plant please?
  • I have a Royal Bumble salvia and from what I can see of the leaves on your plants @Dirty Harry, they don’t look like the leaves shape or colour of our plant. Could you perhaps post a picture of the full plant please?
    AnniD said:
    The problem with salvias is just how many of them are so similar (obviously 😳).
    Hopefully Dysons can help, l'd be interested to know what they say.
    There are no leaves in the picture... ;)

Dyson came back and said he couldn't see a difference in the flower colours. I can only assume all you old timers' eyes are failing you.  :p
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 6,951
    I'm not very old.
  • Songbird-1Songbird-1 Posts: 1,130
    I’m only 27😉