Forum home The potting shed

Bag of old chargers

B3B3 Posts: 14,465
I've found a bag of old unidentifiable chargers and adapters and I'm pretty sure theres another bag somewhere else and i know there's a bag of cables,  many from prehistoric internet times.
What do I do with them? 
In London. Keen but lazy.

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 889
    edited 14 September
    Take them down the tip and put them in the electronic recycling bin. Boring advice I know but simple.

(of course I am assuming your tip is open and has such a bin:p)

• FireFire LondonPosts: 6,963
    I have a local, independent computer fixer shop near me who is grateful for any old electrics. I donate all my old tech electrics to him, in the knowledged that they will be re-purposed on site.
  • B3B3 Posts: 14,465
    There used to be one of those computer repair shops nearby. I wonder if he's still there.
    We're at the edge of the borough and our dump is at the other end.
    We're closer to the one in neighbouring borough and they've become a bit particular about non-residents using it.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,099
    If you have a Currys PC World near you, I believe they still take old electrical things and batteries for recycling.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,368
    It just cost me a tenner to replace a baby monitor charger cable. I wish there was a library of old cables to borrow from. Nothing in the spaghetti drawers here was of any use. Maybe try freecycle?
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 6,963
    Apple also take any electrical tech to repurpose - not just their own stuff..

"I wish there was a library of old cables to borrow from."
    There are some really good tech re-use websites out there to get parts and cables from. Much better than getting new ones. Ebay has an amazing amounts of parts on it.

• B3B3 Posts: 14,465
    I would much prefer to give them to someone who'd make use of them. If they have the brand name, you have some sort of clue what they're for. I found one the size and weight of a half brick. There's old m/ f connectors, things for attaching printer to computer etc etc etc
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,099
    Freegle?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.