Forum home The potting shed

Purchasing Compost, steer me the right way if you could

COVIDgotmegardeningCOVIDgotmegardening Warminster, WiltshirePosts: 28
Hi folks. I don’t really have the facilities to make my own compost, so I’m pressed to purchase some when we need it. I spoke with my sister in law over the weekend who used to work in the trade and recommended B&Q Verve compost. Our local store 7 miles away has some 10L bags in stock. I take it that the likes of B&M compost offerings (forget the brand names) are not comparable?, but there is a local store on the other side of town.......

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 33,290
    What are you wanting it for?
    If it's for mulching, anything is fine. If it's for seed sowing. multi purpose is a bit too nutritious for this time of year, unless you add some garden soil and grit or Perlite.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,534
    edited 14 September
    I've found the B&Q Verve stuff very variable over the last couple of years, particularly the peat-free one. The last lot was great, but before that I had some that was coarse and twiggy (I used most of it for mulching).
    I think the 10L bags work out pretty expensive though, so if you drive (or can get someone to take you) get the biggest bags you can handle.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 1,626
    Every year Gardening Which does an objective review of composts. Verve usually scores fairly well but others do better. I would not make a detour to buy Verve but it depends what you want to do with the compost and how much you want to buy. 10 litres will not go far.
  • COVIDgotmegardeningCOVIDgotmegardening Warminster, WiltshirePosts: 28
    edited 14 September
    Well I went and took the plunge rightly to wrongly and purchased miracle grow multipurpose compost from B&M as it was on offer. I’ve got more than enough for the rest of the year and next!.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 33,290
    Don't use it to sow seed then, if it has stuff added to it   :)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• COVIDgotmegardeningCOVIDgotmegardening Warminster, WiltshirePosts: 28
    👍