Forum home The potting shed

What do you find weird in your garden?

This assumedly puffball fungus popped up and surprised me growing near our old apple tree recently.  I've had to mow (and walk) around it! 😁 I've included a clog (UK womens size 6, US 39?) for reference in the photographic evidence.   

What have you found in your garden that you would class as weird?

• FireFire LondonPosts: 6,963
    edited 13 September
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,099
    We have a garden on a steep slope. The back wall and the roof of the shed are at ground level. The roof has a gutter. We found a smooth pebble, the size of a hen’s egg, in the gutter the other morning. Strange.

Checked on the CCTV.

We saw an adult magpie pick the pebble up from the edge of a bubbler that we have nearby. It carried the pebble over to a rock rose and concealed it very carefully in the middle of the plant. It went to get a second pebble. It took the second pebble to another rock rose and began to do the same thing.

As it was busy with pebble number two, a second adult magpie and a juvenile hopped up to the first rock rose. The adult pulled the first pebble out of the plant and the two birds flew with it onto the shed roof, maybe six feet away.

Magpie number one was now onto pebble number three, head buried in a third plant.

Adult number two placed pebble number one on the shed roof. The juvenile stood back. The adult then kicked the pebble into the gutter.  They both leapt back and flew away.

Adult number one, sensing a commotion, then flew off too.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 6,963
    @pansyface - do you think they mistook them for eggs?
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,194
    We had a magpie family decorating my seedlings with little stones (and cigarette butts, left by the builders...) earlier in the year.  I think the juvenile birds get bored...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,352
    We were at my mum's house and watched from the window for about 20 minutes while four magpies performed an elaborate dance around the pieris in the middle of the lawn.  They were hopping and strutting in circles, ducking in and out of the circle like tag wrestlers, picking up, carrying and dropping leaves - they were very creative, devising so many different movements.  Wish we'd had a camcorder.

This week there's been a nocturnal visitor to the ground feeder.  It's a mesh tray, filled with seed mix and suet nibbles, and covered with a square cage which excludes anything bigger than a blackbird.  Four turds have been deposited, inside the cage, outside the tray, one on each side.  They are about the size of the top joint of my thumb.  What could be big enough to produce the turds, yet small enough to get through the mesh of the cage?  and why are they so neatly distributed?  Maybe there were four visitors.

It's just occurred to me that it, or they, needn't have been inside the cage.  They could have sat on top and pooped through the mesh, perhaps in spite because they couldn't get at the food.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 1,626
    US size 39 = 16.5”. Wow, some puffball 😉
  • CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,287
    Sorry US 8 EUR 39 doh!  That would have been REALLY weird! It's 8" x 8" and 6 .5" high but I don't think it's done yet.
  • ManderMander GatesheadPosts: 94
    Sometimes I get "earth star" fungi under the hedge. I had never heard of them before so they looked rather strange at first, especially when they appear to pull themselves up. 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,368
    josusa47 said:
    What could be big enough to produce the turds, yet small enough to get through the mesh of the cage?  and why are they so neatly distributed?  Maybe there were four visitors.
    Turds or pellets? Most birds regurgitate pellets of some kind made up of the indigestible parts of their food such as seed husks and insect shells. Your size description could be about right for a corvid pellet or maybe even a blackbird.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,386
    Small -ish hedgehogs?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh