Forum home Plants

Salvias, plant out or over winter.

MeomyeMeomye Posts: 750
Over the past few months I have successfully taken cuttings and potted up some red and purple Salvias (similar to Greggii). They are romping along nicely in approx 9/10 cm pots. My question is, can I plant them out whilst the ground is still warm? or are they too young and need to be kept in pots until next year? 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,557
    I would keep them in a coldframe if you have one, or at least tucked up against the house wall over Winter. 
    I'm in the South West and wouldn't plant them out now. 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 13,910
    I am holding on to my small bush salvia. I would plant them out in May or so next year. They are not super-hardy and I have lost a few large bushes in recent years, to cold winters. 

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,201
    Also, they don't like to get their feet very wet. Even in mild winters, wet, heavy soil will finish them off.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,064
    Even with perfect conditions, and a mild area,  those are small to put out at this time of year. 
    Let them grow on in spring, and then plant out in early summer when they're growing strongly.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,053
    What everyone else said. Make sure they don't get waterlogged, and if you get a hard frost forecast, cover them for the night. Horticultural fleece is ideal but something like old net/voile curtains, old sheets or even sheets of newspaper or upturned cardboard boxes will do.
  • MeomyeMeomye Posts: 750
    Thanks everyone for replies. I will keep them potted up until next year as advised.