Forum home Plants

Agaphansus

I have a Agaphansus that now has roots coming out of the bottom of the pot.
How and when is the best time to divide it ?

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,845
    Is it an evergreen or deciduous type ? Not sure, but that may make a difference. 
    I know the theory is that agapanthus should be totally potbound before repotting,  how long has it been in the pot, and what size of pot is it ?
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 1,618
    I think received wisdom now is that agapanthus are best if they fit snugly in their pots rather than being completely pot bound. Deciduous agapanthus can be divided now and I have just done mine. Gently tease the roots apart it says. Yeah right! I had to use a saw, brute force and felt I could have made use of a taser and an Exocet.

Evergreen agapanthus should be divided in Spring just before they burst into growth. I’ll be ready to face mine head on having just bought this aggressive tool for the job
    https://www.dewit.eu/en/products/trowels-forks/serated-planting-trowel

• Oooo that wouldve been very handy for digging up great clumps of out of control Crocosmia,which has cost me very blistered palms ( on my hands)😊
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • SueAtooSueAtoo Posts: 96
    I followed advice on youtube as mine were solid roots. Cut into quarters with a saw, left overnight to callous then replanted. Flowered again this year.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,684
    I have a Agaphansus that now has roots coming out of the bottom of the pot.
    How and when is the best time to divide it ?

Agaphansus? What are they?
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
    edited 13 September
    I think we have all assumed that the OP is referring to Agapanthus and have advised accordingly :)
    Do you grow them @Papi Jo ?
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,684
    Nope, I don't grow Agaphansus nor Agapanthus. ;)
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
    That's a shame,  l'm sure Agapanthus would work beautifully in your garden with your green fingers.
    Hopefully the OP will be able to get more pleasure from their plant, no matter what the spelling.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,080
    edited 14 September
    Papi Jo said:
    Nope, I don't grow Agaphansus nor Agapanthus. ;)
    Technically that should read " I grow neither Agaphansus nor Agapanthus"

People in glass houses.................... ;)
    Devon.
  • Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 582
    It's neither not niether .... sorry Hostafan 

Bee x
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey