Forum home The potting shed

Ideas for a bit of privacy/ screening

Hi, I’m looking for ideas on what to plant at the end of the garden to offer some privacy and screening. The house at the back used to be surrounded by beautiful mature gardens and lots of trees so the you really didn’t notice it that much. Unfortunately a builder bought it a couple of years ago and ripped out every tree and shrub and plant ☹️. The scaffolding has now been up for 2 years and no sign of it coming down in the near future.
The wall is not in the best of condition so we don’t want to attach anything to it such as trellis so thinking tall evergreen shrubs or small trees. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,421
    Quick ish growing, easy to maintain, easy to come by at a reasonable size is Yew.
  • The tree in the corner looks to be giving a good bit of screening,what about one in the other corner. The foliage is very attractive what tree is it?
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • It’s a Prunus, yes lovely purple foliage and blossom in the spring. Hmm maybe some kind of tree in the corner but also hedging at the back, I’ll have a look at yew, thanks!
  • Ferdinand2000Ferdinand2000 Posts: 192
    edited 13 September
    TBH I would focus on what you want eventually, as nothing will grow to that height within the year or two the project will likely take.

Unless you spend a fortune on big ones, I think for an immediate block you would need something more like a solar sail or an arbour.

If it is their wall it might be worth pointing out that it is in poor condition whilst they are doing work on things.
    Not really an Acacia Avenue kind of guy.
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 238
    I'm just going to throw out a range of options.

Crataegus 'Paul's Scarlet' or 'Rosea Flore Pleno' makes a good partner to the Prunus cerasifera as the prunus flowers first, then develops leaves, which offset the emerging pink blooms of the hawthorn.

If you need an evergreen tree, you could consider eucalyptus, but they do tend to shed quite a bit. There are several hardy eucalyptus nurseries in the UK.

Pittosporum tenuifolium can grow quite quickly - quicker than yew for me - and is evergreen.

A choice silver birch would show up well against that backdrop and draw the eye down to the ground.

An evergreen magnolia would be slow-ish growing but could also help obscure the brickwork.

Prunus x subhirtella 'Autumnalis Rosea' flowers on bare stems throughout winter and then has another flush in spring. It also has good autumn colour.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 33,290
    I agree with @Ferdinand2000. Nothing is going to instantly screen that - it's never going to screen the whole building either,  unless you allow something to grow excessively tall, which will then impact on your garden very negatively. You could be stuck with something deeply unattractive that then requires constant management. 
    Trees/shrubs/hedging will take several years to get to any size, by which time I'd imagine the scaffolding will be away. The building itself is quite nice. Some people are stuck with views of warehouses, ugly flats and supermarkets  :)

Far better to make your own garden attractive further into the plot, which will detract from the current view. Or arrange screening round your seating/dining area with a pergola - it doesn't have to be big and fancy. Some climbers on that, or even an attractive screen alone, will block out the scaffold. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 1,291
    Personally, I would go for big trees. Maybe one big close to the left corner and one smaller or a big shrub between the two trees. Or some columnar trees, not blocking the view completely but making it less dominant. The building isn't that ugly but I care a lot about privacy and would want to break the view and block that window there. But everyone has different priorities, so I think this is mostly up to you, depending on what do you want.
  • I would find out what the window is first.

I am overlooked by a window in a nonhabitable room that is never looked out of.
    Not really an Acacia Avenue kind of guy.
  • Thanks all, some great advice and ideas. I agree that I need to think longer term and break the view with some interesting planting towards the back and I like the idea of the pergola around the seating. 
    Luckily the windows are not rooms but a large entrance vestibule and a landing so not overlooked as such. The ground level on the other side of the wall is higher so we do see heads as people walk past, but I guess with some strategically positioned trees / shrubs this would not be so obvious 🙂
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 33,290
    Big trees need an equally big budget, so be careful.
    Even something at around 5 metres is several hundred quid.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....