Forum home The potting shed

My Marvellous Compost Bin

Ferdinand2000Ferdinand2000 Posts: 192
edited 11 September in The potting shed
.. is planned to be built today.

I have one question: It is a square wooden thing roughly 1m x 1m x 1m with 100mm slats on the side.

I think I need gaps between slats to permit air to get in.

Should these gaps be say 20mm or more like 50mm?

Perhaps I am just being a worrier.

Cheers

Ferdinand
Not really an Acacia Avenue kind of guy.

• Ferdinand2000Ferdinand2000 Posts: 192
    edited 11 September
    For a diversion, it will not be as varied in its sources of nourishment as this one.

edited 11 September
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,388
    Metre square, no gaps, you need it to get as hot as possible inside. Then cover with carpet and corrugated to keep even more heat in. 

We have our compost turned and done ready to use in 2 months through the summer. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Cheers.
  • KlinkKlink Posts: 87
    @Lyn, So wooden pallets aren't really suitable for making a compost bin?
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 1,626
    I have a base of pallets but then clad it with featherboard planks. It was for both insulation and aesthetics.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,388
    Good ones Ben. Ours sit on chicken wire so rats don’t come up. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,579
    I don't like holes in compost heap sides, they let too much vapour out and the compost gets too dry to rot properly at the edges. I have a couple of big tardis but they are only any good for final storage. I use fully enclosed dalek types for first and second turns. If I have a lot of stuff I use a builders bag for initial heating up , and use old compost bags on the top to keep moisture in.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 33,290
    I found the timber ones simply didn't get hot enough here, even with a layer of protection wrapped round them, as well as on top, so I ended up with quite a lot of weeds. I bought a couple of plastic ones fairly recently, and as I had to move them to a new spot a couple of months ago, I feel it's already better, looking at the contents. 
    I don't have as much 'soft' material as others possibly do, but I do grow sweet peas, so the two big pots that I cleared last week were shredded with the mower before adding.
    I think that will help the process go a little quicker too. Time will tell.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

edited 12 September
    I am wondering about lining it with 50mm of insulation, and lining the sides with heavy weed fabric to keep nearly all the air out.

Anyhoo. in the meantime squaring up the corners has begun with temporary timbers. It is the site of the old garage, so awful ground and requires a strong box structure. 

That bamboo, which is non clumping, will be removed.

F