Forum home The potting shed

Where are you from?

BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,656
edited September 2020 in The potting shed
This quiz is a bit of fun, and was accurate in identifying my home location. You might have to register with the New York Times to get started but I’m sure it’s all above board.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/15/upshot/british-irish-dialect-quiz.html?register=email&auth=register-email

• tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,058
    @BenCotto  I did it - out of curiosity.  It told me I was from outside the UK.  I had maternal grandparents from Dublin and paternal grandparents from London.  The end map came up with London and nothing for Ireland - anywhere.  I'm from NZ!!
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,357
    edited September 2020
    I didn’t investigate it - I get far too much junk mail as it is. But I gather that it was something to do with dialect words.

My mother was Scottish and, until I went to school, I learned the Scottish dialect words involved in play. But I was born and grew up near Sheffield. 

Come the first game of whatever in the school playground I was shouting “Barley” (parlez) for “I give in/up”. Nobody had a clue what I was on about. They continued to torment me. I quickly learned that the cry of submission in South Yorkshire was “Kings” ( one step away from”parlez”, I suppose).😁
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,669
    Where I grew up in rural Pennsylvania the cry of submission word was 'uncle'.  Funny.. I haven't thought of that in years.  We don't let kids ruff and tumble on the school playground these days.. so maybe the words have dropped from common vocabulary.  My boys certainly don't have one other than 'stop!' or if they are home 'mommy!'.
    Utah, USA.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,656
    Pax in my corner of London too.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,357
    Here’s an interesting little list of variations.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truce_term

🙂

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • B3B3 Posts: 17,673
    edited September 2020
    Feinites/ faynights. Never seen it written so can't spell it.
    Fainites - found it!
    C19: from fains I I decline, from feine feign, from Old French se feindre in the sense: back out, esp of battle
    You had to cross your fingers when you said it or it didn't count.
    NW London.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,309
    pansyface said:
    Here’s an interesting little list of variations.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truce_term

🙂

I found what we used to say in the playground down in mid Suffolk ... ‘exes’ ... never found anyone else that said it ... apparently it’s very localised. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 17,673
    We used to say 'no slogs' which meant no consequences. Can't find any record of it anywhere so it might have been restricted to our street. We played in the street then😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • SkylarksSkylarks East MidlandsPosts: 331
    Everyone bring a food item for the ‘fuddle’. 

A few years ago, I ran a social group and used the word fuddle on the Christmas event. I had no idea lots of people didn’t know what it meant. They did get the gist of it. 
  • steveTusteveTu Posts: 1,108
    ..twittens for alleyways/lanes....? One on the way to school was called 'the twittening'...

UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)