Forum home The potting shed

Blight of fungus

I have a large growth of coprinellus micaceus growing on my lawn,I’ve tried killing it with vineger, but keeps growing back, need advise on how to totally destroy it.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,268
    They're doing what they do - breaking down dead material. They'll disappear again once they've finished.
    Why are you trying to kill them? 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• it’s not dead material, it living grass,I don’t really want a lawn full of them, that why I asked for helpful advise.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 1,876
    Pouring acid on your lawn won't help it one little bit. The fungus is helping to recycle dead material, not killing your grass. If you want to reduce the fungus remove its food source by scarifying to remove thatch build up in your lawn.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,268
    It's happening underground. The bit you see is just the tiny toadstools.
    A bit like icebergs. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,159
    the most helpful advice is to research what is happening , to understand it and to be grateful that you have a good ecosystem in your garden. 
    The first reaction of " how do I kill it" is very unfortunate, misinformed and harmful .
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,309
    Hello @mdaniels47 and welcome to the forum :)

The information above is correct ... mycellium is spread under your lawn and virtually everywhere else on the planet ... it breaks down vegetable matter into a form that is accessible to your plants ... without fungi doing this we would have no plants.:disappointed:
    All you are seeing are the fruiting bodies which contain the spores (the equivalent of a plant's flowers and seeds). 
    The warm dampness at this time of year is what triggers their appearance .... as soon as the weather turns colder they'll disappear again ... if they've not consumed all the rotting tree roots and similar stuff under your lawn this year they'll reappear next year.  There is nothing you can do that would not damage your lawn.
    Just sweep or rake them off before mowing ... that's what gardeners here do ... and the rest of the time enjoy the wonderful display of nature's rich diversity.   :D

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees-woods-and-wildlife/fungi-and-lichens/

http://www.abfg.org/

:) 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh