Forum home Plants

Star Jasmine and Clematis

Hi all.

following @Fairygirl helpful advice, I’m going to plant some clematis and star jasmine (for evergreen) on my structure below. I do sometimes have some standing water in winter in the area. I am planning to put some tiles / decking under the structure but can start this with enough space for planting. A question - would it be a good idea to build a raised planter to keep them away from potential soggy ground? Or would a pot even work???

Red marks where I plan to plant (I’m putting wires etc up)

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,152
    Bumping up , in case work hasn't started yet  :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,344
    Worth considering raised beds. I'd avoid pots - much harder to maintain plants.
    Most clematis like moisture, so a bit of wet ground isn't always a problem, but there's wet ground and there's waterlogged ground. Not the same thing, so worth incorporating some organic matter before doing anything, and checking there isn't a solid clay pan further down. A raised bed of around a foot or 18 inches would be ideal, open to the ground. The clems which like drier conditions would probably be less ideal - macropetalas, alpinas, koreanas etc. The bigger Group 2s and 3s would be fine, and montanas too if you want one big plant.

I don't grow star jasmine as it's not hardy here, but I know it needs a sunny site. You'd need to check your site and climate were suitable for that.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Ah thank you @AnniD and @Fairygirl! Great advice. I’ve not started any work but I have got myself a star jasmine (I’m in zone 9 so all ok!) I plan to have that at the sunnier side - and also put some Clems in. These will probably be in shade for a lot of the time, can you recommend any clems good for shade (and also evergreen?!?)
  • Ps: how big would the bed have to be minimum? Would about 30cm x 60cm be ok? Or I can make it bigger and put it underneath / each side of the screen (if that makes sense)
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,152