Forum home The potting shed

Delia's Green Tomato Sauce Recipe - Who has it?

tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,058
Hello - I'm not sure who has the very old book of Delia's with Green Tomato Sauce recipe in it.  I found some sites with recipes for green tomato sauce with pasta and made a batch yesterday - we had it today with cauliflower and it was delicious.
Here is the link:   https://foodviva.com/sauce-recipes/green-tomato-sauce-recipe/

Most of the recipes I have found,  seem to be the same.  I remember someone talking about an old book of Delia's but can't find the thread.
If you are reading this message, I'd love the recipe.
Thank you.
Tui
A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,492
    Me too! There is only so much chutney I can eat! 
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 6,158
    Hi @debs64  and @tuikowhai34 - I’ve chatted to both of youabout green tomatoes on different threads and I have the recipe!!

It’s in the really old Delia’s Original Cookery Course circa 1979. I couldn’t find it online.

We’re away at the moment but I’ll post the recipe when we get home on Thursday if that’s ok. 
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,058
    Good morning @Topbird - lovely - I'll look forward to that!!  Have a good break away.
    Tui

edited September 2020

Hi @tuikowhai34 and @debs64. As promised Delia's green tomato sauce recipe. Don't know for sure, but I can't imagine there would be any problems with freezing it. I have lots of green tomatoes so will be trying it for the first time this year. Enjoy!

SPICED GREEN TOMATO SAUCE  (Delia)

8 Portions - good with pork sausages and mackerel

1 Onion - chopped

1 Green Pepper - chopped

1 Green chilli - deseeded and chopped

2 Tbspns Oil

2lb Green tomatoes - very finely chopped

2 cloves garlic - crushed

1 tspn whole cumin seed - crushed

Salt & Pepper

Fry onion, pepper & chilli in oil over a low heat for about 10 mins.

Add tomatoes, garlic, cumin and seasoning & bring to simmer.

Cover and simmer for about 15 mins with lid on then for a further 10 mins without the lid to reduce.

Doesn't say whether it's served warm or cold....

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,492
    Thanks so much @Topbird very much appreciated can’t wait to try it. 
    @Topbird  Hooray!  Thank you so much for this recipe.  Pots and pans to the fore!!  Have a nice afternoon.
    Tui

• Kathy 2Kathy 2 Posts: 122
    I might try this with Tomatillos - my daughter-in-law gave me a couple of plants and I was looking for recipes to use them in beside salsa verde.
    Thanks
    @Topbird   Tried and true.  A delicious recipe for keepers!!  Thank you so much.
    Tui

Glad you liked it @tuikowhai34. Found the recipe by happy accident the other day when I was looking for something else. I’ll definitely be trying it as I suspect the tomato plants will be coming out in the next 2 weeks or so.😢