Forum home The potting shed

Absolutely nothing to do with gardening but just wondering?

debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,492
Hi all, apologies as this has no relevance to gardening at all but just wondering if anyone out there has a TV above a radiator? We are redecorating and I want to move mine but the only spare wall space is above a radiator. Is this a problem? Any advice? 
Thank you.

• JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,506
    edited September 2020
    Above I’m not sure, but Ive had ours against a large radiator for ten years.

Maybe just check the operating temperature of the tv is fairly high.
  • Jo, I don't think having a TV against a large radiator is a good idea!!
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,492
    Thanks I think it will be ok as long as it’s a big enough gap just wondering about other people’s experience. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,268
    Quite a lot of people have them above real fires. On a chimney breast.
    That must be hot!
    Horrible idea really - spoils the fire as a focal point, but if that's ok, I can't see it being a problem above a radiator if there's a decent gap  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,883
    edited September 2020
    You could maybe put a shelf above the radiator to radiate the heat out rather than upwards, if that's doable ?
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,656
    edited September 2020
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,492
    @Fairygirl that’s the reason behind it really I don’t want it as the main focal point of  the room but it needs to be visible from the armchair so the wall with the radiator is the perfect spot. I have a gizmo that blows the heat from the radiator into the room so that should help.
    Thanks everyone for the input. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,268
    I reckon it would be fine then @debs64 . I think the idea of a shelf  is good too, even if not necessary for deflecting the heat. It would help disguise the rad a bit, especially with a few well chosen items on it :)

I've never understood why people spoil a beautiful fire and surround by putting a tv over it, but that's a different discussion  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....