Forum home Plants

TOMATO PLANTS

I started growing tomatoes from seed in March (indoors) and put them outside around May/June. They started flowering and has fruit. Does it take this long (6 months) to fruit and harvest?

• It can do, yes, depending on variety especially if you're growing them outside and your local weather conditions. For example I have beef tomatoes in a greenhouse - sowed in March like you, and only picked my first one at the end of August even with greenhouse protection. If you have fruit and it's ripening then there should be nothing to worry about. 

Where are you, and what variety are you growing? 
  • Hi 
    I am up in Scotland. Not sure what variety. I took one from the fridge (bought from Tesco). Took the seed out and then started indoors.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,237
    Not sure how hardy a commercial variety will be up there in bonny Scotland 😁 but as long as your area has no frosts they will be OK. If that happens then the larger green fruit on the trusses can be cut (on the truss) and brought in to be ripened on a windowsill. 😁 leaving them on the truss will help keep them and give them time to ripen. Hope this helps @thistletown71
  • Many thanks for that fruitful information.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,245
    Hopeless trying to grow outside here  :)
    If they're undercover [greenhouse/indoors etc] they should ripen before October, but once the frosts start [ by October in most places, if not earlier] they'd need removed and brought inside. If they're outside, I'd get them inside as soon as you can. If they're potted, it's easier as they'll be fine on a windowsill. I have two in the kitchen which were grown from the sideshoots.
    Make sure they're not still producing any flowers too. They won't be viable now, and it's better to focus the plant on what's already there.

Very few places up here are reliable enough for growing toms outside I'm afraid. Temps simply aren't suitable. Perhaps some parts of southern Scotland, and the odd sheltered town garden, but it's rarely worth trying. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• @thistletown71 I’ve had great success growing tomatoes outside in Scotland (Glasgow) but I think the key is simply the variety you grow. 
    I’ve got two Sungold tomato plants I’ve been eating from since early August. Sowed in March. Planted outside against a south facing wall in June and they’ve been brilliant. Try again next year and I’m sure you’ll have success.
    The wall will provide protection and warmth though  @cbennett17. That's what I mean about the site  :)
    Too windy where I am, too cold, and too exposed. I've experimented over the years, in several gardens, and it wasn't worth it for reliability. 

• iya_7iya_7 Posts: 5
    What do you do with your tomato plant at it's end of season and after you've harvested the fruit? 
    I answered on the other thread @iya_7 - we usually compost them here as they're annuals in the UK, and it's not worth keeping them overwinter inside  :)

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,259
    @Fairygirl - some help please,  I've just cut down my tomato plants in an outside un- heated greenhouse as you suggested, cut off the trusses with small green toms still on them and brought them into the house. Are they likely to ripen at all? I've got a choice of an east facing windowsill above a radiator or a south facing one without. Any ideas?
    Do bananas help? Not keen on chutney so if they are not likely to ripen, it's the compost bin for them!  Many thanks