Forum home Problem solving

Wisteria in poor condition

Good morning, our Wisteria which had previously been in good shape, has for some reason this year had fewer flowers and post flowering, has not produced the same vigorous growth as previous years. I had followed guidance on pruning twice a year, but maybe I have over done it this year. Grateful for any advice that may bring it back to its former glory.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,579
    Where does it get its feed and water from? I can't see a space around the main stem.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,726
    I thought the same as Fidgetbones. Wisteria are very greedy hungry plants which also need a lot of water in very hot weather. It looks like it's just ran out of steam and is now exhausted by the effort of keeping all that top growth and flowers going.
  • wydpu0wydpu0 Posts: 12
    Good morning, thanks for your responses. The tree roots has a semi circular area at its base (1st/5th photo) for rain etc. I have not previously watered or fed it specifically as it Had previously been fine. Would you suggest some feeding and with what, watering now?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,386
    edited 6 September
    That little semi circle really is nothing like big enough space to provide access to enough water for any shrub let alone a climber of that size ... coupled with the fact that soil at the foot of a wall is shielded from rain by what is called the ‘rain shadow’ and also the fact that the foundations of a wall act like a sponge and absorb what water there is. I suspect the wisteria was doing well for several years before that paving was laid ☹️ 

A wisteria of that size needs several gallons of water several times a week when it is producing foliage and flowers ... and yet more water as it increase in size. 

If you want to save it I would take up an area of paving at least 1.5m x 3m and leave a hosepipe trickling at its base for a couple of days ... then mulch with a few bags of good compost or soil improver and cross your fingers ... continuing to give it two buckets full of water three times a week until the end of September. 

Start watering again in March ... at least two buckets of water at least three times a week throughout the summer ... more in hot dry spells. 

@Obelixx can advise on renovation pruning and training. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,674
    That poor wisteria looks terribly thirsty.   I have two large wisterias growing up against walls and don't water either of them very much but neither has paving right up to their base so they get whatever water the rains bring.

You need to remove some of the paving around the base and pour in lots of water so it can go deep down but don't feed it while it is so stressed.

It looks like it was well trained and pruned once upon a time so, apart from removing any obviously dead or loose whippy stems, I would leave it alone now till next February and then tidy up any long shoots heading in the wrong direction and then hope it has recovered enough to produce new foliage.   Give it a good helping of slow release food for roses or tomatoes to promote flower buds as well as foliage and make sure it doesn't get thirsty again.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Hi @Obelixx  😊 Another thread made me think of this one ... I do hope the owner manages to save it. It looked great in earlier pics. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• wydpu0wydpu0 Posts: 12
    Thanks to to all who replied. I suspect the Wisteria was planted in 1994 when the house was built. We are south facing on a hill and the back of the house gets really hot in summer. As you mention, I don,t think the base is open enough to get the moisture it needs, in fact, the roots are pushing up the brick patio at its base. Will have to seriously consider relaying the patio not just for the Wisteria but the levels vary as well so drainage is getting to be an issue as well during Bad weather. Wish me luck !
    Very good luck @wydpu0 🤞. Let us know how it goes 😊