Forum home Garden design

Three trees and a blank canvas

2»

• Just an update for anyone who’s interested. 

All the brambles, fir tree and laurels have been cut down and a fence put up. I’ve planted a few deciduous trees on dwarf rootstock in the corners (prunus and malus) and I have put some bulbs in and cut the border outline.
    you can’t really see the stuff I’ve planted very well because of the season but I’ll put other pics up in late spring. 
    I’m considering a small magnolia in the middle but I’m not sure about space at the moment. 

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,387
    That's looking good @Ffoxglove, you must have worked hard. I personally would hang fire on the magnolia for a bit until the trees you've just planted have had a chance to grow. You might need an edging between lawn and border, it looks like it slopes down to the lawn?
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • Hi @bizzielizzie thanks for your post, it has been an epic struggle! 
    It does slope down a bit yes. I’ve dug the shape of the border but haven’t edged it because I wasn’t sure if it needed it or what to use? 
    My next step is planting all the perennial plug plants I have: monks hood, geraniums, Latium and forget me knots 
  • Hello @Ffoxglove, looks like you've worked hard. You will want to remove the bamboo canes and plastic ties that are attached to the trees. If you are concerned they need support put in stake at 45 degrees roughly on third up the trunk. This is a useful guide https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=208
  • Hi @rachelQrtJHBjb
    shows that I’ve never planted deciduous trees before! I will do that. I think the fence blocks a fair bit of the wind so hopefully they’ll be ok. 
  • FfoxgloveFfoxglove Posts: 538
    edited April 2021
    More updates. Things are coming to life now but I’m a bit devasted because I found some baby brambles in the garden yesterday!!!!
    I thought I’d dug them all out ans I also blasted them with weed killer. 
    I’ve painted the new shoots with weed killer. Any tips? 😣

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,864
    edited April 2021
    It's coming along nicely  :D
    Don't get disheartened by the brambles appearing ... they will do for a few years ... just keep painting them with brushwood killer type herbicide ... you'll win eventually (unless they're sneaking in from next door).

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,426
    Looking good!
    Every spring I get little clumps of seedling brambles and ivy along my fence lines (nowhere else). My theory is bird perch there after they've been eating blackberries and ivy berries and drop the seeds with their own little packets of fertiliser. Weeding never goes away, we just have to be vigilant and try to keep on top of it.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
    Thanks for the words of encouragement @JennyJ and @Dovefromabove! I really needed to hear that because I was just kicking myself! 
    I will be vigilant and keep paining them. There’s a rough area on the other side of the fence that I’ll treat too. 
    I’ll post more photos in summer hopefully when the borders have filled out a bit and the fence is painted! 
    🤞
    So this happened today:

there was an old shed base with no shed of course. I toyed with making a raised bed for veg / herbs but knew my folks wouldn’t maintain it really so just made it presentable I hope with some blue slate and a nice photinia.