Forum home Wildlife gardening

Shrews

Never have I had a garden so full of shrews, especially once autumn sets in. I have a shrew hole under the hydrangea and now another has appeared next to the potted Xmas tree where I saw two scampering around.

I don't mind them as they don't come into the buildings and they say they're the gardeners friend eating slugs and insects but I'm wondering how much damage their tunnels do.

Do others see a lot of shrews in their gardens? 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,461
    Yes lots here too, our new little cat is quite partial to one occasionally. 
    They're much slower than mice so easily caught.
    I don’t find they do any damage though. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626
    Yes, love them.

Very feisty little things. They can give a very nasty nip. As our little cat found out the first time he tried to say hello to one. He now stays well away. 😁
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    Sadly I also found one dead under the apple tree. I hear they taste bad as prey so that would explain why they're not eaten when I find them. 
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,770
    They are rarely eaten by well fed domestic cats, although something must fancy them or we would be knee deep in the things. They may look droll, but never make the mistake of picking one up if you find one that looks a bit poorly. They bite, even if it is their last act this side of eternity. I never heard of them doing any harm in the garden but it would be disconcerting, to say the least, to have them jumping out of your way during an evening stroll or a bit of weeding in a dark corner.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    @Posy. I Am knee deep in them lol. But yes you're right, I think it might be owls etc.

I won't be picking them up as I've seen the gnashers on them. They're welcome in the garden though.