Forum home Tools and techniques

Community growing

• UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,722
    They are all good sized plots, I assumed they would be smaller. Does the one you are involved with have a committee to organise the running of it?
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,519
    Not as impressive as the ones above, but we have been keeping a nearby young street tree watered and it's got buds on it!  
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 14,133
    edited 26 January
    Uff said:
    They are all good sized plots, I assumed they would be smaller. Does the one you are involved with have a committee to organise the running of it?

The three I just posted about are each run by different groups. The first (Priory Orchard) has no committee, bank account or anything. It was just started by one neighbour who got permission from the council. It was a waste site. The couple of people who look steward it live near by so they keep an eye and other neighbours vol there. It's a dry garden (like mine) so not extra watering is given and plants are added accordingly. It's by a infant nursery, so they are a lot involved. It's very designed for children and education.

The little plots I run personally (featured through this thread) are the same.
    B3 said:
    Not as impressive as the ones above, but we have been keeping a nearby young street tree watered and it's got buds on it!  

Good for you! Keeping newly planted (council) street trees alive is a whole community project in itself.
    B3 and Fire, good to hear.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,480
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Some more from Ithaca eco-village - growing and living together. A very stable, sophisticated and developed community.

Some pavement plots today, doing well, considering the time of year.

- - -
    The main plot (planted for pollinators) is full of tete-a-tete and iris retic. Some builders decided it was fine to take all the guard sticks and signs out and trample all over it, rather than walking around the plot when unloading their van. They broke a lot of plants. When told it is a garden and not to walk over it, they then did it again the next day. Sigh.

- - -

We even have some brave forgetmenots starting there and some Rozanne buds. One very neon blue flower is out, tossing in the wind.

The Rozanne has been a revelation. I thought it would be too big, too sprawly, not happy in sand etc, but in fact it's been a stalwart, and by far the most popular plant for visible pollinators. It trumps various verbenas, various salvias, sedum, poppies and everything else. Worth knowing. 

Excellent Fire, that's a good selection of plants and flowers