Forum home Tools and techniques

Community growing

• FireFire LondonPosts: 11,543
    Common Blue.

Nigella and various poppy seeds sown in June are now flowering.

Cream, red, yellow and orange Californian poppies. Such good value for poor, sandy soils.

• bullfinchbullfinch SurreyPosts: 475
    Looking great @fire
    Thanks
  • All looking beautiful @Fire.  My Nigellas are practically over now. and no Poppies this year (other than some beautiful dark purple double Opiums) so good to see the lovely Orange and Red shades even if not in my garden.
    Your street must really look a picture :)
    edited 3 September
    Thanks @philippasmith2 - the main pavement plot (with the poppies and nigella etc) isn't on my street but the next one over. It's kind of rough, a lot of drug dealing goes on, fly tipping and neglected front gardens, next to a run down council estate, so this is a good shot of colour, hopefully a bit of a lift for residents. Since Covid and this plot started, neighbours are getting to know each other a bit more and chatting.

We did a late succession of seed, including poppies and nigella in June to hopefully go to the frost. I have been amazed by one big red California poppy plant that started in May hasn't stopped, it just gets bigger and bigger with endless blooms. I dead head that weekly. It clearly loves the very sandy soil of the old tree bed.

I met a Greek guy on that street yesterday who planted a fig tree in an old street tree bed, off his own bat. I'm not sure how it happened but now we have lots of fruiting figs. His kids have surrounded the little tree with painted stones. It's very jolly.

It would be nice to thinking of strong community life putting the drug dealers off and stop them parking up to sell outside our houses. Maybe the flowers and figs and artworks send a message that this is our home place and we treasure it and look after it - we wil notice you and are taking notes. I'm not sure it works like that but I like to think of street planting as helping a kind of "floral neighbourhood watch".   'We will deluge you with blossom' :D

Some more fruit and veg harvest pics from six different neighbours in our garden group. 

Figs, cooking apples & pears to share, squash, garlic (first time grown for them), borlotti beans and plums to share with neighbours.

As autumn comes into the garden, I have been impressed how the verbena bon. Lollipop is holding - not bending or breaking, inspite of cars and passers by. It's happy planted in the sand, so seems to be thriving. I expect we'll have a lot of seedlings next year.

- -
    The sedum have gone on for months and some are just starting. The range of pinks on single types is gorg - from white to very dark raspberry

- - -

There are some new kind of bees I've just spotted. Bombus petris?

• WoodgreenWoodgreen Posts: 264
    Beautiful, Fire.
    Love those bees!
    Thanks