Forum home Tools and techniques

Community growing

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 74,737
    Seems appropriate to put this here … hope that’s ok … https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/lakenham-man-told-vegetable-patch-can-stay-8210326

some of the best news I’ve heard in quite a while 😎 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FireFire LondonPosts: 12,060
    good news!
  • EustaceEustace OxfordPosts: 637
    @Fire Wow :o
  • I'll 2nd that ......what a difference.  Offer her our congratulations and all the best for her RHS course   :):)
  • YessicaHaircutYessicaHaircut Sussex coastPosts: 63
    This thread is so heartwarming. Really inspiring stuff - thanks for sharing it, @Fire. :)
    edited August 2021
    Thank you @Yessica. It's nice to see neighbours feeling ever happier to chat in the street - the pavement growing sites gives a point of easy conversation and shared smiles.

This year's sedum cuttings are just coming into bloom. None of the mushroom houses have been nicked, which is a relief.

- -
    And here is some of the August harvest from new growers in our four road garden group: Cucamelon, borlotti beans, chillies and kitchen-grown cucumbers happily clambering over a clothes horse.

• YessicaHaircutYessicaHaircut Sussex coastPosts: 63
    Oh the indoor cucumbers - I love it! :D

Is that a geranium in the background of the top picture? I'm a complete novice gardener this year and in terms of geraniums, only knew pelargoniums, which I'm not a fan of. Then I was having a look in a friend's garden and spotted a beautiful plant, asked what it was, and she told me a wild geranium she'd rehomed from an alleyway! I have since read up about hardy geraniums - they are so beautiful! I've bought a packet of mixed hardy geranium seeds for next year and I'm excited to see what will emerge from my "lucky dip". :)
    edited August 2021
    @YessicaHaircut Yes, it's a geranium Rozanne. In spite of all the other, wilder, planting for pollinators, it's Rozanne that is always covered with insects on that plot. That bed is very poor, sandy soil, so the plants don't go crazy, but gently wind through other plants,. I trim it back fairly often through the season. When I planted them last year in the bed I imagined that Rozanne would be too thuggish and large for the bed, but in fact it's been fine with trimming. The colour theme for the plot if broadly purple and white. Have plants with a long a flowering season as possible.

Welcome to the forum. It's good to have you with us.