Forum home Tools and techniques

Community growing

• FireFire LondonPosts: 11,543
    edited 7 July
    It's been good talk over planting options on the forum. It's nearly one year since we created the main, big (dry/sandy) pavement plot and it has come into its own. The damp and rainy weather has been great for getting seeds going on the plot (we don't have a pest problem other than cats). Adding some salvia Salute has changed things a lot and helped it fill out. I have added some S. Marcus too.

We have various kinds of poppies coming up in succession. Californian poppies (probably) red and yellow are doing well and adding pops of random colour, which is great. Hopefully we will have a good few months of poppy pop and everything will self seed. Verbena bon. looks like it's seeding everywhere.

It's interesting that given all the planting for insects, it seems to be the Rozanne that is always covered most in (easily visible) life - covered in honeybees. She is planted in such poor soil that she seems not to be taking over too much.

The white campion has been interesting to trial. It's tall (4-5 ft) and tends to flop in wind and rain and looks really scraggy as it dies back. It's out of scale with most other plants in the bed. I don't think I would grow it in this spot again.

I decided to keep in the medick (clover) and take out the chickweed and the balance seems pretty fine.

Winter die back is a concern as it will be bare again, despite adding more evergreen ground cover.. 

edited 14 July
    Thanks for the forum advice about doing a Chelsea (May) chop on sedum. This has worked well on the main big pavement plot. We have denser plants, which were getting very leggy very early in the season. We now have denser, happy plants in scale with the rest of the planting.

- -
    The yellow Californian poppies are taking off and we should have a good flowering through the late summer from seeds planted at the end of June. Hopefully they will wildly self seed.

- - -
    On the next road we have some fairy garden hard landscaping development. :D Building on a Scandinavian theme, it features a seating area for relaxing with the family, colourful planting scheme and rustic water feature. Next stop Chelsea.

Here's some of the harvest from our community garden group - mostly new growers. Not such an easy spring this time.

edited 16 July
    I love this video and say 'amen' to all of it. I think the principle goes for any growing and, in fact, any (creative) project we begin. Wise Man Bruce.

It is the one year anniversary of our big pavement garden. Over the year, two hand-made signs disappeared. We had made a decision to make no more. 

Today, months later, they re-appeared! I had a feeling they might. I have imaginings that a mum found the signs under a kid's bed and blew their top.  And so back they came. They even had the good grace to wire them back in with pegs, as they found them. It made up for a sadness that they were taken so quickly, and an affirmation that we should have a bit of faith in neighbours. I'll clean up the signs, re-varnish them and put them back in.

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,152
    Only just caught up on the thread again.  As always, some incredible pics and excellent descriptions.
    You and your neighbours must have made an enormous different to your street and surely must have encouraged others to do similar.  Well done  :):)
    edited 3 August
    Thanks @philippasmith2 🌱

It's interesting how - one week it can feel exciting and meaningful, and the next it can feel like a complete, disheartnening waste of time - in the face of any evidence. It often feels pointless. Trampling of plants, stealing and littering gets me down. The way little kids love the fairy gardens and the painted stones is guaranteed to lift my spirits and makes it all worth it. They bring so much wonder and pay such close attention. I often think to myself "it's all for them".  Finding one gold stone can bring a squeal of excitement from littleuns. A mushroom house is a cause of stories. 🌻🍄
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,152
    @Fire There's always going to be a downside isn't there ?  I suppose you just have to keep going and hope in the end that even the tramplers and other PITA's will eventually get the message. It must be dispiriting at times but you have made a difference already and so it's easy for us from a distance to say......... just keep going :)
    I could do with some of your local children to make a Fairy House here - my Slow worms would enjoy it as opposed to their present boring bit of Butyl :D
    Slow Worm Fairy Houses sound like a great idea and would make for some great pics.
    - -
    Our local streets are lines with London plane trees, and it's always a bit of a challenge for the pavement plots in autumn and everything gets covered, esp when there is a big autumn storm. We dig out our fairies. It's good for collecting the leaves for chopping and rotting down, though.

The Chelsea chopped sedum will be coming out soon and should provide a bug feast and some good, long lasting colour.

I have started inviting neighbours to take seeds and cuttings from the plots whenever they want. We have a good flow of plants being rehomed from house to house - trees moving, seeds swapping, apple harvests shared. Our local (well organised) allotment close by gave shed loads of harvest to our (new) local food bank and had a plant sale to raise money for the food bank, offered with amazing generosity.

Our primary school (at the end of the road) has had good success this year with their crops of herbs, leeks and lettuce. Each child in the growing class was able to take home some produce at the end of term, that they helped to grow. B) 
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,909
    Community growing indeed - growing by a community and growing of a community  :)
    “There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”