Forum home Tools and techniques

Community growing

• FireFire LondonPosts: 11,543
    edited 13 June
    There are some really lovely pavement plantings popping, well tended.

Lychnis, valerian rub. and alcoholic mollie.

- - -
    Poppies are everywhere...

- -

- - -
    More and more front gardens in our community are reclaiming their front gardens and planting wild. This garden made my heart lift - ox eyes daisies, love in a mist, lavender, veronica, roses among others.  It was absolutely buzzing with insects - great to see among the streets' concreted ex-garden drive ways. Some front gardens on the road have begun to grow veg in raised beds.

The council are talking about bringing parking schemes in locally that might convince more people to rip out their generous front gardens, to avoid paying. It would be such a shame to lose more of them.

The main plot is filling out with summer, which is great.

- -
    Verbena rigidga and bon. is starting to flower

- - -

New pavement plots are appearing now in the neighbourhood, often with fairy gardens and stones painted by children. The tenders seem very serious about it :)

edited 23 June
    Today's triumph: a newly made over front garden has appeared in my streeet - with a small pond, insect hotels, mass of bird feeders, plus a shed and bin structure  both with green rooves; not posh.  The plot is well thought through, over an area of about 2m/2m. This is the first pond I have seen on the street, out front, or so indeed in the whole area. So hurrah! Neighbours are getting braver to try out things. Even if it only last six months, it's great to see experiments and a reclaiming of front gardens.

There is a slow move to growing food in the front locally - like chard and tomatoes - some pics below. (Having a front tap really helps).

💃🏽💃🏽💃🏽

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,472
    It all looks fantastic, @Fire!
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
    Thanks @LG.  It's cool to feel like a little ripple a larger wave. It does feel like has been a real gathering of momentum for pavement growing here in the last 18 months. I might include our front gardens under the heading 'pavement growing' as it seems like it's the people who tend their front gardens, who then spill out their growing under the trees. Of course, it's the kids who love it most. ☺️

You can spot the fairy gardens led by kids as there is a mass of weeds, a solitary foxglove, a loads of shepherds purse in among cornflowers and poppies and dandelions. They wouldn't have it any other way. Some times I come out in the morning and find kids have left their fairy toys under 'my' street tree. I'm not sure whose. I have permission to plant surprise bulbs and seeds at some fairy gardens further down the road.

It's lovely to have kids planting and playing that have no fear of 'getting it wrong' or fear of judgement or making a mess of things. The don't know what a 'weed' is yet. And hurrah for that. The adults tend to be much more serious about the thing.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,087
    That's really inspiring, @Fire!   :)  
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,909
    It's a fabulous project, @Fire. Making such a difference on many levels 
    “There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”