Forum home The potting shed

Ban Artificial Grass petition

We all have our views on plastic grass... and that's fine obviously, but if you'd like to sign:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/300919?fbclid=IwAR2b7nRQjh9BZHa8LFAHRNgIky9ymFahZa6um8RGLXjK8T5kMTuJ4ONvPxw

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,357
    Done.

But he has a way to go if he wants anyone to take notice.

Hurry folks, time’s running out.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,214
    I support a ban although but I suspect even it if happens there would be easy to use exceptions to the rules. Make it part of the Planning and SUDs systems and force people to properly evaluate the consequences and consider the impacts on their neighbours and wildlife. There should also be regulations on the causes of plastic grass though. Developers shouldn't be able to leave a new house with a garden that won't support natural grass and should be held accountable if they do. And maybe, just maybe, regulate free roaming cats so gravel and other such alternative surfaces don't stay undesirable due to the litter tray appeal.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,052
    I would willingly have signed that petition, but ... "Only British citizens or UK residents have the right to sign". :'(
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • B3B3 Posts: 17,673
    I would prefer to ban Zen car parks. Bring back front gardens I say!
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Ferdinand2000Ferdinand2000 Posts: 470
    edited September 2020
    Do I sense an irony at the time the Strictly thread is talking about tolerance?

Strange proposal - ban something in private gardens put permit it everywhere else, and to propose that those who do not want lawns should have "decking or patios" as an alternative (plastic decking, concrete slabs), and to imagine that somehow artificial grass displaces trees whilst natural grass does not.

Does anyone have work on the carbon footprint of all the resources - mowers, petrol, lecky, water, fertiliser - used to maintain a normal grass lawn vs artificial grass?
    “Rivers know this ... we will get there in the end.”
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 1,498
    Interesting you mention the cats @wild edges - this month's local Parish magazine contains an article entitled "In defence of Cats ".  Goes without saying that all the suggestions were for others to come up with deterrents for the free roamers rather than the owners taking responsibility so no surprise there.
    What did make me look again was the suggestion that all those with a garden should allot a gravel bed for the sole toilet use of any neighbouring cats and to be grateful for helping the community.   

This sends me off towards the cumudgeonly thread!  :(

Anybody brave enough to suggest this to me face to face would probably end up buried in the gravel bed with all the cat sh!t. Is the magazine normally of such comedy value @philippasmith2 ?
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,121
    And maybe, just maybe, regulate free roaming cats so gravel and other such alternative surfaces don't stay undesirable due to the litter tray appeal.

That's a petition I would sign in a heartbeat!
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,214
    Does anyone have work on the carbon footprint of all the resources - mowers, petrol, lecky, water, fertiliser - used to maintain a normal grass lawn vs artificial grass?
    I haven't used any of the above in 12 years of having a lawn if that helps. I can't speak for all cases but on average I'd say that most plastic grass that I've seen has been used on a relatively small area and has ended up in landfill after less than 10 years. Plastic grass doesn't usually replace patios or decking as most gardens have a patio as well as a lawn, and no one said anything about it replacing trees although I've seen trees being cut down because people don't like leaves on their plastic grass as they don't break down like they do on a natural lawn.

• KT53 said:
    And maybe, just maybe, regulate free roaming cats so gravel and other such alternative surfaces don't stay undesirable due to the litter tray appeal.

That's a petition I would sign in a heartbeat!
    I have an image in my head of Sylvester in a birdcage, with Tweetie-Pie outside free, singing his song.

“Rivers know this ... we will get there in the end.”
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 9,583
    B3 said:
    I would prefer to ban Zen car parks. Bring back front gardens I say!

It's not a binary choice: say no to Zen, carparks, Zen park parks and plastic 'grass'. Our area  is decimated by all of them. Yes to front gardens.