Forum home Plants

Sowing Sedum Seeds?

alanbeealanbee DurhamPosts: 30
Hi,
I bought this pack of 50 mixed Sedum seeds. Could someone please advise when and how I should sow them. My intention is a pot/pots. Questions - as they're that small do I sow them loosely or expected to pick them out individually? When should I sow them and should I start them off in my propagator or directly into the pot and what time of year?

Thanks

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,438
    Better sown fresh than stored. But if you do have to wait until Spring then store them in the Salad part of the fridge.
    Well drained compost(half compost and half drainage material), Cover the surface with fine grit. then sow the seeds as thinly as possible on the grit. Put the seed pot to soak up water rather than watering over the top. Soaking like that pulls the seeds down in to the grit.
    Not sure that if they are hardy Sedums they would need any heat. I have never bother with a propagator for the seeds I have sown over the years.
    Put somewhere light and airy, keep them moist by misting rather than heavy watering.
    Best of luck.
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 2,855
    If you want a head start on your seeds, go and collect some sedum cuttings. Any bit of stem or single leaf, no matter how tiny, is likely to root and form a new plant if you gently push them into the surface of gritty compost.
  • alanbeealanbee DurhamPosts: 30
    Thanks for the comments & advice