Forum home The potting shed

Pffffffff building my new greenhouse grrrrrr why are these things so difficult ?

JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 643
As part of my staycation I have bought myself what I thought was a lovely lean too greenhouse, which of course came flat packed.... well so far it has taken hunny and I most of yesterday to build.... only to find out the door won’t hang. 

Instructions were missing for how to build part of it so a lot of guess work.... the frame and main sections seem fine but the door wheels just do not want to roll...... 

this afternoon is going to be a new challenge of trying to fit the door with a nights sleep behind me and hopefully a less stressed outlook.... wish me luck.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,357
    Ah, The Great Greenhouse Challenge.

You are doing well.  Ours, a piddling little squiff of a thing at only 6’ x 4’, fought us off for a week.  We finally threw the instructions on the fire and then just another couple of days saw it built.

The doors don’t run on the runners, never have, but they do open and close if you hold them in your arms and engage them in a brief but insistent polka.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 3,760
    Oh yes we have all been there. I was lucky with my one on the Allotment as I had help from an expert, (he has built several). We still had to "modify" a couple of parts to get them to fit.  If it takes you less than 3 days to finish with all the glass in as well consider yourselves gold medal standard. Good luck you will get there .
    AB Still learning

• KT53KT53 Posts: 5,121
    Years ago a friend bought a lovely timber greenhouse and somehow managed to put it together inside out.  Only realised when he tried to fit the door!
  • floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,280
    Ah yes the greenhouse conundrum. We have one with polycarbonate panels. The door is a slider which has never fitted properly and has to be wedged closed with two pieces of wood held on with bulldog clips otherwise it just slides open in the wind and blows the panels out.   :#
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,602
    Having put up about 12 Aluminium greenhouses over the years, I can tell you that it does not get any easier.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,159
    I bought a 56 ft x 21 ft polytunnel and the instructions were a total joke. 
    I had to call every day when erecting it. 
    One day I called : 
    " what is it this time? " he asked cheerfully 
    " I'm trying to do XYZ"
    " Yeah , everyone calls when they get to that bit" 
    " really? so you know the instructions are rubbish then? " 
    " yeah"
    Devon.
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 1,498
    pansyface said:
    Ah, The Great Greenhouse Challenge.

The doors don’t run on the runners, never have, but they do open and close if you hold them in your arms and engage them in a brief but insistent polka.

:D:D:D I may have to log off the forum and never return. It doesn't get better than this. Genius.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,357
    Know that dance, huh, biglad?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,052
    Hostafan1 said:
    [...]
    I had to call every day when erecting it.
    Ah, those erection problems. o:)
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 643
    Well it’s up...l door slides .... with help.....
     and a lot of patience