Forum home Plants

Canna impulse buy

On holiday this summer we’ve picked up a couple of small Cannas. Reading up on these it seems they need to be moved to a frost free location after the foliage dies back. We are able to keep dahlias in the ground in a sheltered raised bed, do you think we’d be safe leaving the Canna in the same location?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,028
    I have some in pots and I left them out over last winter in quite an exposed position. They weren't the variety I ordered (from J Parker... surprise, surprise) and I wasn't very keen on them so I was sort of hoping they wouldn't make it, but by late spring I could see shoots appearing and they've flowered well this year.
    Fair to say though that we had no frost last winter but a few frosty mornings in March this year.
    I've had dahlias in the ground for 10+ years with no problems
    If it's another mild winter then they should be ok. Or to be safe, dig them up and store somewhere frost free over winter.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,852
    Assuming you have bought them abroad and without any form of phytosanitary certificate I suggest you grow them in pots and keep them in quarantine till next spring and you check regularly to see they have no virus or pests.  It's all too easy to import an uninvited guest or guests which can wreak havoc if let loose.

They are tender perennials and need an early and warm start in spring to get them to flowering point and lots of feed and moisture during the growing season.   If your garden doesn't get below -5C you could risk them outside in the ground as long as you pile on a good mulch for protection.

Have a read of this info on canna cultivation - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=324

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Obelixx said:
    Assuming you have bought them abroad and without any form of phytosanitary certificate I suggest you grow them in pots and keep them in quarantine till next spring and you check regularly to see they have no virus or pests.  It's all too easy to import an uninvited guest or guests which can wreak havoc if let loose.

They are tender perennials and need an early and warm start in spring to get them to flowering point and lots of feed and moisture during the growing season.   If your garden doesn't get below -5C you could risk them outside in the ground as long as you pile on a good mulch for protection.

Have a read of this info on canna cultivation - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=324

Assumed incorrectly, unless You count Pembrokeshire as abroad ;)

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    perhaps @TheRickster holidayed in the UK?
    I've left cannas in the ground here in Devon,and lifted some. Those in the ground emerge later, but soon overtake those "planted out " .
    You don't say your location. We're wet , but not too cold. I'd say if you have sandy soil, they're pretty much 100% safe, but they hate cold AND wet.
    Devon.
  • We’re in south Manchester, with a sheltered raised bed that’s very well drained (figs, dahlias and tomatoes love it!). The Cannas are currently in pots, so I’m tempted to bury one, and pop the other in the shed:) thanks for the advice!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,041
    Worth doing that @TheRickster. If it was more open, I think they might struggle, as you probably have plenty of wet stuff over winter. It's that combo, as @Hostafan1 says. If you have dahlias in your bed successfully, it's certainly worth trying. 

I certainly can't leave them out here, and I haven't had one in the last few years, to try putting in the growhouse. Even a cold frame against the house wall isn't enough protection here. I've usually had to bring them indoors. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....