Forum home Plants

Boston Ivy

I would like to set Boston Ivy on the front single story walls of my house and it would be easy to maintain there but I have concrete paths around the house, I don't mind cutting a hole in the path to set the ivy as I have lots of space but do I need to put a barrier in the hole preventing root growth towards the foundations of the house, I know it has a large tap root but will it branch out? any advice would be greatly appreciated. :) 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    Welcome to the Forum.
    IMHO the biggest problem you'll have is that Boston Ivy won't be happy being kept at " single storey " height. 
    Devon.
  • Hi Hostafan, mmm I thought that but I could keep it pruned just a couple of inches below the gutter, I could let it grow up the second story but worry that it might be hard maintained there and an obstacle to painting.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    I'd go with something less vigorous. 
    Boston Ivy might look a bit stunted . It has large leaves . 
    Maybe a small leaved ivy? Hedera helix Gold Heart perhaps?
    Devon.
  • I like the color of Boston Ivy in Autumn and there is a variety called "Veitchii" which has a smaller leaf. 
  • I grew the same - Veitchii - on an east facing wall in France in the same situation as yours - ie a paved path with a slab removed.  It thrived and was easy to keep on a double storey.
    I've also grown it in the UK on a south facing wall but that was planted directly into the ground - again it did well.
  • Hi Philippasmith2, ok thank you for that as I really love the color and I have found another one which is Parthenocissus tricuspidata 'Lowii' LITTLE LEAF BOSTON IVY so this might also be a good option, there are a few cultivars to consider.
  • JamesS-BJamesS-B Gateshead, Tyne and WearPosts: 244
    I found it easy to keep on top of. Mine grew up trellis and then up the fence on top of the wall. I just snipped off the shoots that were reaching for the moon (only had to do it a few times in the growing season). 

Looks beautiful in Autumn.