Forum home Plants

Pieris Japonica Mountain Fire

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered previously!!

I inherited the above shrub many years ago and have left it to do its own thing.  I now want to attempt my first softwood cutting - can somebody please guide me with instructions.  Or is it too early to do this?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,041
    Hi @sue.harden1 - it's a bit late for softwood cuttings, but  you can do them just now as a semi hardwood cutting. It might need a bit of help with heat, because it won't be as ready to 'take' as the softwood cuttings would be. 
    Do you need help with taking the cutting, or are you ok with that process? 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• hi @Fairygirl - oh dear, I am very new to gardening and only just starting to try and understand so many things - all a bit of a minefield!  Never mind I’ll have to attempt it next year - when is the best time of year?  Thanks for responding 😁👍
    edited 2 September
    No problem @sue.harden1 !
    Softwood cuttings are usually taken in the summer - simply because that's usually when there is soft new growth on shrubs [hence the term]  and they're easier to get rooting. 
    Cuttings are quite easy to do from plants, but I'll see if I can find a link as it's probably easier than trying to explain here  :)

This one is quite clear

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/propagation_summercuttings1.shtml#:~:text=Fill%20a%20pot%20with%20free,increase%20your%20chance%20of%20success.

You'll be able to find videos online too, even if it isn't for cuttings from shrubs. The basic technique is the same for almost everything, in that you take a piece of suitable material and remove lower leaves, before putting a few round the edge of a pot, in some gritty compost. 

You can also try putting them in water indoors just now. I haven't done that with Pieris, but many plants will form roots just in a little pot of water, and can then be planted up in their own little pots of compost to overwinter.
    If that worked, and you had them potted by the end of October or so, you would be able to keep them outdoors over winter, just somewhere sheltered. It's probably worth trying that as well. Nothing to lose  :)

• @Fairygirl - perfect, thank you so much for your help 👍
    Good luck with it.  :)
    You could always try layering as well, if there's a suitable stem near the ground. That's an easy way of making new plants too. I did a Gaultheria a couple of months ago, and I noticed the other day that it had rooted. It requires very little effort, and works with lots of shrubs.  You'll find info on that online too. The RHS site is good for that kind of thing  :)